Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Map of Thra (Dark Crystal - Age of Resistance)

Default Map of Thra (Dark Crystal - Age of Resistance)

I started with this map on August the 24th and today, Novembre the 9th, I am happy to say it is done!

It has been a long ride with a lot of bumps. I started traditionally with ink and pencils on paper.
    Made my first mistake in the first week, started over and added something I was not happy with.
    I then decided to do the whole map digitally, bought myself a small Wacom tablet and started experimenting, learning and adjusting.

Documentation has been scarse from the start. There was one production map Jim Henson drew for the movie, one map from the novels without any details and alot of lore on the Crystal's website. But that also left some room for experimenting and artistic freedom
    After a few days of work I noticed a whole new production map while watching "The making of the Dark Crystal - Age of Resistance" and did alot of adjustments accordingly.

Despite all the bumps and a whole new learning curve I am very happy with my very first digital map, not a 100%, but close enough

I want to thank everyone for their feedback, suggestions, advice and support.
    I might not have used every single one given, but they where appreciated nonetheless.

Final version of the Map of Thra:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map of Thra Final.jpeg 
Views:	429 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	118726

Others have said it over at the WIP thread, and I'll repeat it: I can't believe this is your first digital map, man. It's really quite impressive.

It came out great. I love the colors on the map, the forests in particular, and the border decorations are beautiful. I can't rep you again so soon, but this certainly would deserve it.
    I'd love to see the traditional version finished at some point as well, and I look forward to future digital works.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Thank you so much Kel!

Wow, this changed quite a lot from the last WIP you posted! The forests in particular have gone to a completely different style. (I like it.) But I do miss the triangular point of interest markers, with their more prominent Gelfling glyphs.

I do like the inclusion of Aughra's eye throughout, that's an interesting and funny choice - very in keeping with the character of Aughra. The landstrider is GREAT, and I have to say you did a wonderful job on the textures in the desert (and the ocean).

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Yes, I have to agree, this is quite impressive for your first digital map. It blows my first digital map right out of the water! Love the coloring and and the artwork done on this. Excellent work my young friend!

Del

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

This really has the feel of an alien world... the color choices and strange creatures I think, and the eyes! In any case, excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    Wow, this changed quite a lot from the last WIP you posted! The forests in particular have gone to a completely different style. (I like it.) But I do miss the triangular point of interest markers, with their more prominent Gelfling glyphs.

I do like the inclusion of Aughra's eye throughout, that's an interesting and funny choice - very in keeping with the character of Aughra. The landstrider is GREAT, and I have to say you did a wonderful job on the textures in the desert (and the ocean).
    It has changed alot in last few days. Unfortunately the triangular markers could not be used because they got cramped together to much but Aughra’s eyes made up for the loss

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    Yes, I have to agree, this is quite impressive for your first digital map. It blows my first digital map right out of the water! Love the coloring and and the artwork done on this. Excellent work my young friend!

Del
    Thanks alot Del!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    This really has the feel of an alien world... the color choices and strange creatures I think, and the eyes! In any case, excellent!
    Thank you for your kind comment Arimel

It's been a pleasure to follow the progress of this piece. You've done just a marvelous job with it. The colors and linework are all fantastic. Definitely a piece to be proud of.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    It's been a pleasure to follow the progress of this piece. You've done just a marvelous job with it. The colors and linework are all fantastic. Definitely a piece to be proud of.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks Arsheesh

A fantastic map for such an original setting. I really like all the illustrative elements and the elegance of the frame and style.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast