Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nov-Dec 2019 Challenge: Orbisvapor

Great progress. I like the switch from gears to portholes for the city icons.

It looks insanely cool

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

This is awesome. Love the updated backstory and I think the new city icons are going to be great! Looking forwards to seeing more!

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Great progress. I like the switch from gears to portholes for the city icons.
    Thanks alot Falconius! The portholes also gave me the ideas for a rather big overhaul

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    It looks insanely cool
    Haven't seen IT yet...oh wait...hahaha, thanks Thomas!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    This is awesome. Love the updated backstory and I think the new city icons are going to be great! Looking forwards to seeing more!
    Here's some more then Greg, and thanks for the great comment!

UPDATE

After working on the Metropole icons I've gotten a few ideas about the overall look and feel of the map.
    The overhaul makes a world of difference, I hope everyone likes it as much as I do
    I also (finally) added the compass rose.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Orbisvapor WIP 9.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	4.33 MB 
ID:	119196

The composition, linework, color and rendering are all excellent. I really am fond of those little trees. I'm less fond of the background texture you are using. It seems a bit too fuzzy to my eye. Otherwise excellent work so far!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    The composition, linework, color and rendering are all excellent. I really am fond of those little trees. I'm less fond of the background texture you are using. It seems a bit too fuzzy to my eye. Otherwise excellent work so far!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thank you so much Arsheesh, I vallue your opinion
    I asume you are refering to the ‘parchment’ being fuzzy. Any suggestions to improve it? I admit there is alot going on (lines, fibre, spots etc.) but I wanted to try something more texturized than the Thra map.
    Last edited by Marc; 12-05-2019 at 05:58 AM.

This is shaping up very nicely.

But... I really liked that boiler.
    Too bad you can't put the legend on the side of the boiler (and perhaps map it to follow the shape of the boiler).

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I asume you are refering to the ‘parchment’ being fuzzy. Any suggestions to improve it?
    The thing that I notice is that the size of the fibers doesn't match the scale of the map - the fibers are too fat and rather short.
    One thing you might try is using the fiber pattern from a non-woven material.
    Polyester batting (sewing material) is a random matrix of fibers. Scan it with a piece to black paper behind it to increase the depth and contrast.
    Synthetic scrubbing pads have a coarser texture and they are more open so it's easier to get depth. But the fibers are much coarser and the pads are small.
    Another possibility is landscaping fabric (weed barrier fabric). Or building wrap paper (Tyvek?)

One of my favorites for a random coarse texture is particle board.
    Medium density fiber board (MDF) is also interesting and it has a much finer texture.

I like a lot where you're going with this!!

Quote Originally Posted by bkh1914 View Post
    This is shaping up very nicely.

But... I really liked that boiler.
    Too bad you can't put the legend on the side of the boiler (and perhaps map it to follow the shape of the boiler).

The thing that I notice is that the size of the fibers doesn't match the scale of the map - the fibers are too fat and rather short.
    One thing you might try is using the fiber pattern from a non-woven material.
    Polyester batting (sewing material) is a random matrix of fibers. Scan it with a piece to black paper behind it to increase the depth and contrast.
    Synthetic scrubbing pads have a coarser texture and they are more open so it's easier to get depth. But the fibers are much coarser and the pads are small.
    Another possibility is landscaping fabric (weed barrier fabric). Or building wrap paper (Tyvek?)

One of my favorites for a random coarse texture is particle board.
    Medium density fiber board (MDF) is also interesting and it has a much finer texture.
    Thanks for the advice BKH
    Will look into the options you have mentioned and try a few if I have some time left to do it with the hollidays on the horizon and still alot of work on the map

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I like a lot where you're going with this!!
    Thanks Ilan!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I never heard of the Earthsea novels before, but thanks for bringing them to my attention
    READ THEM. Read them now!!!
    Hehe, sorry, a huge Earthsea fan over here...

But I digress - this is looking phenomenal! I love the somewhat dark tones, and that steampunk-esque border is an absolute killer. Love that lighthouse icon, can't wait to see what you do with the rest of those. Great stuff, truly!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast