Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Continent of Yeulren (globe perspective)

Map Continent of Yeulren (globe perspective)

Hi everyone,

Here is my latest map, a bit of an experiment in globe perspective, as I have only done one globe map before.
    This map also served as a guinea pig to get a hang of an iPad pro I recently got.

Overall I'm very satisfied with it, I kind of forgot to put cities and labels, but oh well, I hope the map speaks for itself.
    I mostly eyeballed the perspective, so it's not perfect but I think its good enough.

Let me know what you think! Any comments are appreciated, I'd love to have feedback or criticism.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	442.2 KB 
ID:	118866

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

It looks amazing Josiah! Great experiment, with a great result.

I would love to see a version with some labels on this, just to see what could be done in the perspective (if you feel like experimenting some more haha).

Best regards,
    Karl

This does look awesome! Great thought to include the swirls of algae in the ocean! Also, great use of the blue tinting to show distance under the atmosphere. I just have two comments for you - and hopefully we'll see more maps like this from you in the future.

First, remember that the algae/sediment swirls are going to be related to where the rivers flow out into the ocean. (I could imagine some rivers under that tree canopy.)

Second, I can't quite tell where the Sun is supposed to be. The specular reflection off the ocean and relief shading on the terrain makes it seem like the Sun is over the viewer's left shoulder. But the way the atmosphere is lit up with a lens flare, I expect the Sun to be just behind the limb of the planet at the top. I think to make the atmosphere look less like it's sunrise/set, it should be more blue and without the flare. But a sunset perspective would sure look interesting.

Great work, regardless. I'd say your test was successful.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

What a beautiful and innovative map ! Splendid !
    I'm curious : did you distorded a map that was drawn "flat" or did you draw the map with such perspective and rotondity (?)
    And what app did you use on the Ipad ?
    As a comment, I would only find one tiny thing : for me, the algae are a really great idea, and it works just fine ! Except when I zoom in the map... one can see too much of the brushes. Maybe with a smaller brush or a different one ?
    Anyway, thanks for sharing !

edit : I'll have to come back for the rep... apparently, I rep you too much... which of I'm not surprised : I love your maps !

Nice one! I really like the perspective and the waters are really well done.

I've quite enjoyed these kinds of perspective maps before, and yours is no exception. Once again, I really dig the way you used color here. I think the lighter ocean color around the coastlines looks a little strange, though, as it is rather strongly present in some places and completely absent in others. Not a huge thing, but it does give the piece a little unifinished look, in my opinion.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Wow ! The perspective is amazing and your sea coloring really sells the piece ! Can I ask about the size of the whole map ? I've tried one of Earth a long time ago but set up my canvas too damn big...

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    It looks amazing Josiah! Great experiment, with a great result.

I would love to see a version with some labels on this, just to see what could be done in the perspective (if you feel like experimenting some more haha).

Best regards,
    Karl
    Thank you! I would love to, but it would be very difficult because I am out of country and don’t have access to my computer. I don’t have an app on the iPad yet with good labelling ability

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    This does look awesome! Great thought to include the swirls of algae in the ocean! Also, great use of the blue tinting to show distance under the atmosphere. I just have two comments for you - and hopefully we'll see more maps like this from you in the future.

First, remember that the algae/sediment swirls are going to be related to where the rivers flow out into the ocean. (I could imagine some rivers under that tree canopy.)

Second, I can't quite tell where the Sun is supposed to be. The specular reflection off the ocean and relief shading on the terrain makes it seem like the Sun is over the viewer's left shoulder. But the way the atmosphere is lit up with a lens flare, I expect the Sun to be just behind the limb of the planet at the top. I think to make the atmosphere look less like it's sunrise/set, it should be more blue and without the flare. But a sunset perspective would sure look interesting.

Great work, regardless. I'd say your test was successful.
    Thanks for the feedback, that’s helpful to think through because frankly I think you’re more observant than me. When I was crafting the atmosphere and whatnot, I wasn’t actually sure where the sun was, so no answer for tha, but I thought the aesthetic was good. You’re probably more detail oriented than me so that may drive you crazy

Quote Originally Posted by AlTheArchitect View Post
    two suns !?
    Exactly.
    The beauty of fantasy worlds, just bend physics to fit your faulty maps

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho42 View Post
    whoa! i'm intrigued! getting a bit of the overview effect
    Interesting! Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    What a beautiful and innovative map ! Splendid !
    I'm curious : did you distorded a map that was drawn "flat" or did you draw the map with such perspective and rotondity (?)
    And what app did you use on the Ipad ?
    As a comment, I would only find one tiny thing : for me, the algae are a really great idea, and it works just fine ! Except when I zoom in the map... one can see too much of the brushes. Maybe with a smaller brush or a different one ?
    Anyway, thanks for sharing !

edit : I'll have to come back for the rep... apparently, I rep you too much... which of I'm not surprised : I love your maps !
    Thank you so much!
    No distorting, basically eyeballed the perspective.
    Using procreate
    Thanks for the feedback about the algae. Personally I like the brushiness but you’ve probably got a better eye, so I’ll keep it in mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Nice one! I really like the perspective and the waters are really well done.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    I've quite enjoyed these kinds of perspective maps before, and yours is no exception. Once again, I really dig the way you used color here. I think the lighter ocean color around the coastlines looks a little strange, though, as it is rather strongly present in some places and completely absent in others. Not a huge thing, but it does give the piece a little unifinished look, in my opinion.
    Thank you so much. With the coastline colour, I was going for tropical Caribbean waters/algae bloom sort of thing. Love to hear your opinion, Maybe I over did it and I’ll keep it in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Wow ! The perspective is amazing and your sea coloring really sells the piece ! Can I ask about the size of the whole map ? I've tried one of Earth a long time ago but set up my canvas too damn big...
    Thanks Thomas!! The map is a humble 1600x1600px

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast