Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apocalyptic Randomness

Default Apocalyptic Randomness

This is for a game I'm working on adding into my usual rotation. I'm working on making thing look old and run down. Any Suggestions are very welcome!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img046.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	977.4 KB 
ID:	118905

Name:	BM Road With Cars.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	746.8 KB 
ID:	118906

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Looks good so far, the only thing I suggest is maybe a little of the glass on the cars and trucks would probably be broken and/or gone completely. It's definitely looking old and worn out...

Del

Some suggestions for a more realistic feel:
    Foundations are very durable and will remain pretty much intact even after the building has been blow away or burned. They outlast vehicles by many decades.
    Some debris from the buildings will also add more realism.

digging it so far. i might wear the colours of the cars a bit though!

I've got about a full page of car doodles, trying to figure out how to do them better. More worn looking and more broken glass were things I hadn't considered.

I never even thought about foundations. I'll have to go back and add them in.

Added broken glass and faded out the colors in the cars... no Idea how to add foundations yet..

Views:	48 
Size:	734.0 KB 
ID:	118954

The one I drew yesterday and colored today.

Name:	CDH Subway.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	118952
    Last edited by LunaticDesign; 11-19-2019 at 02:29 PM.

An attempt at foundations....

Views:	38 
Size:	753.3 KB 
ID:	118955

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Are the background and the rest of the objects on separate layers? I would actually draw in some kind of either vector based or raster based straight lined polygons just about the background layer so its underneath the broken up walls.... so that there is a definite border to the foundation, but around the edges and corners (where they show) could be cracked and starting to "return" to the earth" as it were. Couple of jagged (not earthquake sized or wide but earthquake shaped) cuts across some of them. If that made sense. Right now with the blurry splotches it doesn't look so much like foundations as just big gray splotches.

But that's just my 2 cents.

Del

Nice apocalyptic series you have there .

Del, Thank you very much I will work on cleaning up the edges and adding a little more definition. I think the cracks would show age better than the overgrowth and dirt is.

Ilanthat, Thank you very much I haven't done this genre of mapping before so I'm excited about coming up with new things and techniques to work on.

Your first sketch has a ton of dynamism. Starting with something good is always a nice place to be.

Remember that impact craters excavate material *down* more than they push it out. Think of them as a near-hemispherical bowl with a little bit of a raised ridge. There's a gentle slope from the raised ridge down to the ground, but it's nowhere near as prominent as the ridge. Any rays poke out way beyond the slope. The short story is: I think you should de-emphasize the shading on the outside of your craters compared to the inside. Also, remember that time will smooth out that topography.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast