Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nov '19/Jan '20 Lite Challenge: Map a City

Post Nov '19/Jan '20 Lite Challenge: Map a City

Nov '19/Jan '20 Lite Challenge: Map a City

This month's Challenge is based on a suggestion from Naima: Map a City Thread

So the Challenge is to Map a City or Large Town, it could be ancient , Medieval or modern , a City or a Metropolis, isometric, bidimensional or tridimensional ...
    Have a story background explaining how and why it was founded or evolved and feature some monuments in it ...
    Any size, any setting, any race or culture. It might be a small elven tree city in a fantasy world or a large Klingon settlement on a distant moon.

Win a silver compass, you'll like it

Mapping a large city can take quite a while so this challenge is going to be
    A Two Month Challenge
    The Challenge will run until the end of the day on the 14th of January, (Midnight eastern daylight time between the 14th and 15th, more or less, depending on when I can get to the computer to start the voting) and then there will be 3 days of voting. Someone is going to win a Silver Compass, it could be you!

As usual, title your threads: "Nov '19 / Jan '20 Lite Challenge: << your title here >> "

Don't forget to put the hashtag: ### Latest WIP ### in front of all WIP pictures, and especially in front of your final map. And don't forget, there is a WIP button that automatically posts this for you. Try it, You'll like it!

And remember, if you put more than one image on the same post, only one of them gets picked up.

The Challenge will run from November 19th until end of day January 14th. 2 months! Plenty of time but don't procrastinate, with the Holidays coming up it is going to be a busy season.

Quick rules reminder: The Lite Challenge is open to anyone who has not already won 3 Silver compasses, 1 Gold Compass, or been selected as a featured Cartographer's Choice Map.
    Also, the map has to be started on or after the first day of the challenge, no reusing older maps even if they were not finished.
    Last edited by Bogie; 11-20-2019 at 12:34 AM.

Oh no... you know this is too enticing to pass up. Why? Why Bogie?

This is too much coincidence! Just this morning, I started working on my first ever city map. That must've been around the same time that this theme announcement was published.
    So, count me in

I have been kind of thinking about doing a city map again. I guess I might actually get involved for this challenge if can come up with a good concept.

Nice. Designing cities are part the pleasure I have as a DM. I will try to draw something for this challenge.

I know that (almost) every map in the guild is a fantasy map even though nothing in the name of the guild suggests that, but I was wondering: can it also be a city map of a known city on earth instead of a made-up one?

Quote Originally Posted by Ish_Joker View Post
    I know that (almost) every map in the guild is a fantasy map even though nothing in the name of the guild suggests that, but I was wondering: can it also be a city map of a known city on earth instead of a made-up one?
    Of course! The only criteria is 'city map'. You can do what you want.

I've seen a number of real world maps at the Guild, though often with a 'fantasy' look to them. But any kind of city map is fine for the challenge.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Of course! The only criteria is 'city map'. You can do what you want.

I've seen a number of real world maps at the Guild, though often with a 'fantasy' look to them. But any kind of city map is fine for the challenge.
    Great, thank you!!

I've been sitting on this idea for a map of my hometown for a while. Perhaps this'll be my opportunity to really dig into that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast