Thread: FT3/Wilbur: Canvas extending beyond the world

Guild Apprentice

Help FT3/Wilbur: Canvas extending beyond the world

Hello!

I've made a world in Fractal Terrains 3 and want to do erosion and so on in Wilbur (because it becomes so much better). But when I export/import via wilbur MDR, I end up with a canvas that extends way outside the actual world map, with a large green (i.e. zero height, I guess?) area. The size including the green area matches the size I exported the world to.

I assume this will mess up the map size for when I want to import it back into FT3, even if I manage to crop it by hand in Wilbur.

Any tips on how to deal with this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wilbur green area.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	681.9 KB 
ID:	118946
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wilbur green area.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	3.36 MB 
ID:	118945  

In FT3, use File>>Save As with type Special MDR. This type of file saves the whole world in the Equirectangular projection without any sort of collar. Saving a regular MDR file will get exactly what you see onscreen, including any extra parts that are not on the world's surface.

There is a relative bug between the two programs that requires you to flip the world vertically in Wilbur, do your processing, and then flip it vertically again before importing it back into FT3. It's a long story about a GDI->OpenGL conversion and doing one-too-many cleanups, but we're stuck with it now. BTW, the Incise Flow code is the same between Wilbur and FT3, but I never got around to porting the precipiton erosion to FT3. Maybe FT4? Who knows...