Thread: Kingdom of Lamrooka

Map Kingdom of Lamrooka

I drew this earlier this year, its the 2nd country-scale map I have drawn...
    The inspiration for the coastline was some ripped poster paper remains on a wall (I have a whole file of similar photos waiting for the time to be brought to life)
    The mountains I wanted to do in a contour lines type style, but abstracted a bit and shaded so they made more sense visually
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kingdom of lamrooka.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	118973Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kingdom of lamrooka paper.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	325.6 KB 
ID:	118974
    It was a lot of fun to create and I have since drawn one of the little coastal villages in the SW, Creekton, and also a couple of the locations within and near Creekton. At the time I had grand dreams of drawing a city/town/village map of every location in the kingdom... I might have gone a bit overboard... there are over a 100... That might be a bit of a tall task - would take the rest of my life!

Stuff like this is just the best inspiration for mapmaking!'

It's a cool starting point, and you've produced a great map out of it. I really enjoy the spray pattern used to color the vegetation. Nice work with the brushwork in general, the ocean looks great as well. A really nice map through and through!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

A very fine map! I love the way you rendered the topography.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

What a good idea ! If you think of it, maps are everywhere !
    And congratulation for the realisation : nice and vibrant colors, clear and precise lines !!! But above all, I LOVE the way you draw relief !! great idea and so well realised !

This such a great idea ! the randomness of the rips make for a more organic map and the reliefs you added are splendid !

Thanks everyone

Kellerica : spray pattern used to color the vegetation was a happy accident! to be honest it happened because I couldn't figure out how to draw tree-forests on the mountains without loosing the shape and look of them... but in the end it worked out, seems to suit the contoured mountains and hills

Ilanthar & - JO - : I quite like how the relief style turned out too The trick is going to be repeating it next time, because I only half remember how I did it... Something tricky, with multiple copies of the 'contour' lines, offset from each other in small steps, flattened together, the 'sunny side' erased using where the contour lines crossed over themselves as the indicator for what to take away and what to leave, then the remaining part blurred to get the shadows creating the relief look. Next time I will take notes and step by step screen shots!

ThomasR : Yes! exactly ... and old peeling paint, stains on concrete, eroded white lines on the road... it is so much easier to trace an existing organic edge than to try and invent one

You made wonderful use of that scrap of inspiration. That topography is very well rendered, too. I like the way the contour lines and the shading mesh together, and the earthy color scheme really suits it.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Nicely done. I was trending towards more detail and more detail in my own work, things like this remind me that sometimes hinting at the detail and leaving it at that is a good thing.
    It's a great piece!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

What a creative idea for a map. The results are splendid.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Nicely done. When I started making maps I was noticing them in everything myself. It does make you look odd snapping pictures of some odd rubbish but who cares.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt