Thread: The Midnight Territories

Default The Midnight Territories

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	midnight map with borders.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	7.74 MB 
ID:	119074

Hi, everyone! This map was made for the Dm of my 5e group in anticipation of our upcoming low-fantasy campaign. This particular region is far to the north in our world, with a climate similar to western Canada. Some info (like city/town names, ocean names, etc) were not made available to me, which is why they aren't on here.

I wanted the overall tone of the map to be dark and somewhat drab. I live in Alaska and when I think of "midnight," I think of the deep dark depths of winter. Also, the Crow Lands are mostly unknown, with no credible maps for the in-game cartographer to pull from. As such, there isn't much detail in the Crow Lands beyond the mountains that lay along Ihirdonia's southern border.

The Midnight Territories are a loosely collaborative group of independent provinces who's autonomy from the outside world can mostly be attributed to the unforgiving terrain and weather. This is difficult land to invade or assault. The mountains are high, the rivers are swift and frigid, the passes are clogged with snow, and the forests are dark, dense, and ominous.

While this piece is finished insofar as my part in it is concerned, I am always looking to learn more and get better, so any constructive criticism is absolutely welcome. Thank you!

This is a really cool map and I think it conveys what you were looking for in the tone. The mountains look really cool and I like the grid-like texture. For CC, the edges of the forest seem a little abrupt when zoomed in. Maybe have an outline around them? Or a blur?

Quote Originally Posted by steelmccoy View Post
    This is a really cool map and I think it conveys what you were looking for in the tone. The mountains look really cool and I like the grid-like texture. For CC, the edges of the forest seem a little abrupt when zoomed in. Maybe have an outline around them? Or a blur?
    That's wonderful advise. I see what you mean. I did the forests last, and I think some part of my brain was already moving on from the project. Definitely could have given them some more care. Thank you!

digging the atmosphere and composition! reminds me of william hope hodgson's the night land