Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nov '19 / Jan '20 Lite Challenge: The City of Osaron

Guild Member Guild Supporter

Wip Nov '19 / Jan '20 Lite Challenge: The City of Osaron

Osaron has often been called “The City of Two Spirits.” Divided by the Osaron river, the north and south sides give a very different feel. The older part of the city is the south side. Dominated by the great arena, the south side is a place of ferocity and violence. This was for centuries the only reputation Osaron possessed. But when the high temple was destroyed inland, it was rebuilt on the shores of Osaron. With it came piety, education, arcane schools, and refinement. Now the two sides of the city live together and apart, sharing the ports and the benefits each side has to offer…….

My first challenge, and my first big city map. Already feeling like I’ve bit off more than I can chew. I want the south side to be cramped, and dense, with hovels and tight neighborhoods encircling the arena. The north bank will have larger buildings/universities, etc with the temple overlooking. Both the temple and arena are elevated, almost facing off over the river.

That’s the idea….pulling it off will be something else, with time being a big factor, and I have limited experience with shading and coloring.
    This first draft has a lot of place holder stuff like roads etc. Any tips are appreciated. I also don't know if I am following the rules with my posting so please correct me where needed. Thanks, Sid

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Osaron Draft.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	119020  

Welcome to the challenge Sidmandoo!

Great idea, the map is looking good, and you picked the right challenge to start a big project as this one is going for 2 months instead of just 1.

Wip

Here is an update, as I work on line are around the arena. I drew the temple in, and added some feature buildings. Learning a lot in terms of photoshop. Tried one technique for quickly doing the houses, but I've switched over to a slighter faster technique. Nevertheless, it's pretty tedious, but good for listening to back episodes of Critical Role

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Osaraon Draft 2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	119077

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Looking good so far!

intriguing worldbuilding! i dig what you have so far

Nice looking map so far

Wip

Still working on line art and making it up as I go.....there is some tedium here, but this whole process has helped me hone my PS skills quite a bit, trouble shooting lots of different ways to shape and make things. Working on the north bank buildings has been slower as they are supposed to represent upper income residences. Also putting in some forests and working on the elevation drawing....so yeah, it's taking some time!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Osaron Draft 3.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	3.67 MB 
ID:	119195

Worth the effort, it's looking great!

Wip

Had some mistakes with my layers which set me back some, but I am diving into the coloring. I have done very little coloring before and am mostly taking my inspiration from the maps of others. Trying to get the ocean right. I am sure there are faster ways to lay down color, right now I am laying down the bases. I will probably copy the house layer, and then do fills for the roofs, I think that's probably the quickest way to do that. I can't imagine hand drawing all of those....

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Osaron Draft 4.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	6.70 MB 
ID:	119253

Wip

Getting on with coloring. Finished the south town rooftops mostly, now to move on north part of town, worked on coloring the rocks, and I'm experimenting with general ground cover colors. My layers are starting to pile up, at times I'm having to correct mistakes from early on in my line art. So it goes....

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Osaron draft 5.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	8.08 MB 
ID:	119336

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast