Thread: The Known World WIP C&C welcome

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Solice's Avatar

Default The Known World WIP C&C welcome

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Known_world_WIp2.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	3.95 MB 
ID:	119022

First time posting in about a couple of years. I have jump-started my love of cartography again and the artform. I
    ve also sunk some time into Wonderdraft - which is impressive software - instead of using straight up photoshop. I plan on combining my skills in both programs but this isn't the reason for this post.

I would like some help on this map. I want it to be better, and I want it to make the most sense as possible.
    I've been told about the island chain labled "Saltoir" (i.e. Islands like that are left overs or products of large mountain chains.) But I am not sure where to put those mountains on any of the continents. Storywise, the Saltoir archipelego was a mountain chain that was sunk beneath the waters vis some crazy magical event. But I suppose hand waving "A WIZARD DID IT" isn't as cool as it sounds.

Also, the large lake to the north of the label "Lynia" has a massive outflow river. It too was magically made. The problem with that a helpful commented on reddit (the same who pointed out the mountains) said it looks like the Lake would just empty out into "Lynian Expanse" very quickly. Regardless of magic or not. Should I make it more narrow then?

Anything else to toss my way to think about and or work on?

Maybe add a few more rivers flowing into that lake (you have a lack of tributary rivers in general), but if it has a magical source of water (gateway to elemental plane of water or eternal rain shower overhead, maybe), then okay. But just making a big outflow would drain it. You have a big lake on Reynes with no water flowing in or out.

The Sea of the Gods is very much divided by Saltoir, so I would expect the regions to have different names, especially if Saltoir was sunk in historical times and they were originally less connected. At the least, I would think sailors would want to have "The Northern Sea of the Gods" and "The Southern Sea of the Gods", with a name for the bay below the "Lynia" label and for the strait between Reynes and Duradhim.

Given what we can see of Saltoir, I'd say the rest of that particular mountain range is under the sea.

The cliff face looks good at a glance, but at a second look, the repetitive pattern is bothersome. Do you have a selection of cliff icons to mix it up a bit?

Is Sidion mostly desert or mostly grassland? All I can tell is that it isn't forest. Maybe add something to indicate what that big empty area is meant to be.

Positives: The ocean texture looks really nice. and the lightening around the coasts works well. The font and coloring of the labels is effective and aesthetically pleasing. The Duradhim mountains look very nice, though on the other land masses, the variation in mountain sizes seems a little extreme, unless the lone mountain on the left end of Reynes is meant to be colossal.

I think you have a good start here. Maybe add a scale help with better feedback. Size matters in laying out a map.