Thread: Trying to do a forest style..

Guild Novice

Default Trying to do a forest style..

Hey everyone,

So I'm playing with differents styles, for a forest mostly. I came accross this map (see below) by TomDigital and I liked a lot the style used for the forests.
    I tried to replicate it, but without much success. So far, I tried to do multiples dots and shorts lines, mix them together but the result is... pretty bad.
    Should I try a particular brush ? I also tried to do a quick tree, use it as a brush but eh...

If you guys have any ideas, suggestions for me, you would make my day

Here is the map : https://www.deviantart.com/tomdigita...-Zun-567841143

Thanks a lot !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yar_zun_by_lesopeso-d9e2t13.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	5.55 MB 
ID:	119117  

Those trees are tall cones (i.e. pine trees) with shadows.
    But only the trees along the right edge of a forest have shadows.

You'll need at least two brushes, one that is a cone-shaped tree and a second that is the tree plus a long shadow.
    The trees also vary in size, so you'll want to use size jitter or do multiple passes with different brush sizes.

It's not a style I've used a lot myself, but I would try setting the brush to 'pen pressure' and doing a small flick upwards to create a tear-drop shape, then add a small trunk below. Once you've done a few of them, select them and copy and paste as needed. I would definitely do more than one tree before copy and pasting though to avoid repetition/tiling. It's been a while since I last created a custom brush in PS, but if you can then turn them into a brush stamp then even better. I would also suggest you set the brush mode to Multiply so you can overlay the trees and create variations in tone and density.

Guild Novice

Thank you both for your answers !
    I'm gonna give it a try today !

i love how it looks. i take it the desert is just sand?