Thread: How do I make a polar centric projection of my world map?

Question How do I make a polar centric projection of my world map?

Long time lurker here, like years of lurking, just made an account a few minutes ago because I'm ramping up the production of my fantasy world and am having some a very small issue that has literally jammed me up for days now, and its really starting to frustrate me because of how simple this SHOULD be to do.

My issue is with a world I've created in Fractal Terrains, I cannot shift the 'center' of my map north/south, only east/west. There is a tool for in FT shifting everything north/south, but it will remove all your edits, which is dumb and pointless and broken and made me angry a little lol.

I've been looking into other programs now, I bought Fractal Mapper hoping FWE would help, nope. and I honestly like the NBOS suite way less than the ProFantasy tools, they seem way more limited in comparison, but I'll hold onto it for now in case that's just a personal limitation stemming from not knowing how it works very well, and being familiar with a different tool, like switching from Maya to 3DS Max.

And then I discovered Wilbur, I think I might be able to to what I want finally, but just cant figure out how. All I want to do is shift my world map either north or south (I really don't care, either direction achieves the result that I want) 90 degrees so that my polar landmass is centered. That's it. But I guess this is something no one ever wants to do, or else there'd already be a simple little tool ready to go.

Ive also considered using ArcMAP/GIS, but don't know how compatible it is with the ProFantasy Suit and I have chosen CC3 to be the software that I build my world in, after I get this sorted out.

The north pole tool in FT is for rotating the fractal function. It doesn't do the editing data primarily because implementation limitations don't guarantee that reprojecting the editing data is reversible: if you change your mind, the system can't get back the exact input data (and then I'd get to hear "FT destroyed my data", which is not particularly fun). There could be an extra and expensive reprojection step at every sampling operation, but that would slow things down significantly and FT is plenty slow already.

If you're interested in keeping altitude data, you can output the raw altitude from FT as a Special MDR file (an Equirectangular projection raster with a 1024 byte header and little-endian floating-point values). This file should work as an input to something like one of the GDAL tools (probably gdalwarp) provided that you use an appropriate VRT file ( see https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/vrt.html for info on the descriptor file needed). There is probably some way to get it to work in a single step, but it might be easier to reproject the image into two Orthographic projections, one centered at the desired pole and the other on the opposite side of the world. Then reproject those two images back to equirectangular, specifying the Orthographic projection's centers as poles. It's not a simple process, and I expect that there are tools out there that will do this in one step (it's making sure that it works with the altitude data and not RGB images that's the hard part). After the map is fully reprojected, it can be put back into FT using File>>New with type Binary File.

I would generate a script or program to do this process directly, but I don't have the solid block of time available at the moment, sorry.