Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A quick 'Atlas Awards' reminder as 2019 draws to a close...

By Kellerica
    How much of tech savvy does one need to be in order to be useful? I'd love to step up if you'll have me, but I'm not sure I have the skills needed... I know I don't post that much, but I do usually check the forum out multiple times a day anyway.
    Well, I'm doing some stuff... and believe me, I'm far from being a techie when it comes to those things.

By J.Edward
    I didn't mean to start up a controversy.
    I just thought maybe Guild members on their own, without a rule prodding them, might just do it.
    But, whatever. No worries.
    Discussion is good. And it was a point worth to be noted. Hence, everyone can think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Well, I'm doing some stuff... and believe me, I'm far from being a techie when it comes to those things.
    Hm. Well, in that case, I'm certainly volunteering!
    No clue if you'll actually want or need me, though... But eh, no harm in at least offering, right?
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Could you elaborate on the missions of the CLs ?

Blog Entries

The job of the CLs is mainly to look out of content that goes against the ideals and rules of the guild and forum. Mostly - lets say > 90% of the time thats spam. Hopefully you dont see it but we get numerous postings, mostly garbage but with links to various products, search ranking boosts, oh I dont know - just everything. If its related to mapping and you think the membership might want to read about it we let it in, else it gets the boot.

Now the other 10% of the time we might have a few odd cases where you might get a bit of friction. Maybe someone stole the image and is using incorrectly, maybe there has been something said between two members etc. This is less common than you might imagine for having several thousand active members posting every day. But it happens and then we have to take a little discussion about how to handle it and what to do. So being quite level headed and diplomatic is key here.

The other part is general maintainance. We have community projects which I get involved in and then the monthly challenges where I am less involved. But someone has to run them and put up the vote and post the winners and hand out the silverware.

You dont need any technical experience at all. All CL stuff is done through the forum framework so its no different to posting but it might be moving threads, editing duff emoticons or changing a post title etc. The admin stuff can be a little more technical where having some PHP & SQL knowledge can be a great asset and I think its important that your comfortable on the linux shell. But its not like that for CL work.

For a CL its handy if your on the guild frequently, several times a week or daily even just to pop in and check the moderation lists and be involved in the decision chats etc. To be chosen as a CL I think you need to have been on the forum for a long while and made a lot of posts and not to be too hot headed, dramatic, or a bit of a loose cannon because a CL has responsibilities and the abilties to make a mess if one were to run amok. It helps if your considered a good mapper too of course but thats not a primary factor.

I think the patience & focus needed to make a good map are possibly helpful qualities for a CL and as such we have been blessed with many good ones. And our membership comments is very calm and helpful considering the terrible state of other social platforms. It's a nice place here !

Thanks for the info, Red.

Like I said, I'd be honored if you'd consider having me. The Guild has become very important to me over the years and I'd love to help keep it running smoothly.

I do know I haven't been posting that much, though, so I totally understand if I don't make the cut! But like I said, I usually am here 2-3 times a day in any case, even if just silently observing.
    Last edited by Kellerica; 12-21-2019 at 04:45 AM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I'd gladly step up and give back to the community, unfortunately, a regular job, the mapping job growing, a 3 yo and a baby coming up in February would make the Guild take a far back seat. It's not the right moment for me
    Sorry : completely out of topic .... :

You’ll be a father for the second time soon ????

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!!!!!!

I’m so happy for you and your family !

I’m looking forward for your future « baby map » !

The two first ones were so cute !

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

And I do agree with a chickpea (for the related topic) !

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Sorry : completely out of topic .... :

You’ll be a father for the second time soon ????

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!!!!!!

I’m so happy for you and your family !

I’m looking forward for your future « baby map » !

The two first ones were so cute !
    Héhé, merci beaucoup Joël I thought I had told you already. My wife is thinking about the commission for the birth announcement card indeed.

Congrats, Thomas. You kept this quiet!!

Looking forward to seeing your 'birth map' (you've started a tradition and you can't stop now!)
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast