Thread: WIP The Shattered Lands continent map

Wip WIP The Shattered Lands continent map

Hello, I'm Herone!

This is my first digitally-made map that I'm actually proud of! I'm using GIMP software to create it.

I thought it would be a good idea to post what I have so far so all of you wise map makers can give me some constructive criticism. I really like what I've done, but it still looks very bland and I'm not sure how to make it pop.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheShatteredLands save 1.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	512.6 KB 
ID:	119156

Hello Herone, welcome to the Cartographers Guild!

I like what you've got thusfar and it's got alot of potential to build upon.
    To make your map 'pop' a bit more I would suggest raising the contrast of the lining around your landmasses. That way you set a clear boundary between land and sea. I can see they are there now in a light shade of grey, but they get pushed to the background because of your shadows.

Personally I am not a big fan of dropshadows under a landmass because they give the impression of the landmass floating above the water

Happy mapping and stay on it!

Thanks Marc!

I think I'm keeping the shadow for now, but I darkened the border and that helped a lot. I also added names.

Name:	TheShatteredLands save 1.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	555.6 KB 
ID:	119158

I think this map is almost done. Here's my tentative final draft. Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

Name:	TheShatteredLands save 3.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	119163

Very nice. My feedback would be to do some more blending, especially with the forests. The hard lines with this style can be jarring. I think you've already done some blending with the mountains so I'd just apply that more to the forests.

Thanks for the suggestion, swiss! I think that's what my forests needed to look a bit more realistic! I'm calling this my final draft, so I'll be posting it in the finished maps section now.

Name:	TheShatteredLands save 4.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	119167