Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kaldar Foss Commission

Map Kaldar Foss Commission

I’ve recently completed another city map for Lyon’s Den Studio. The city of Kaldar Foss exists way up in the frigid north, a land of permanent snow and ice. It was built within the hollow of a box canyon atop a frozen waterfall

The society here worships the Raven Queen. A gate of sheer ice surrounds the innermost city. The only way through is by means of the Raven’s Gate, a giant stone gateway carved of black stone. This gateway also serves as a temple to the Raven Queen. All who wish to enter must pay the required tithe.

The city is also home to the Red Cloak Guild Hall, a guild specializing in the slaying of monsters. The members of this Guild are highly revered within Kaldar Foss.

A narrow stone road winds along the southern size of the canyon leading down to the city. On the ridge above is a small hamlet, home to the poorest residents of the city. An elevator crane here is used to transport goods to the city below, as well as to provide those who can afford the toll a more convenient means of entry to the city. Overlooking the hamlet is a tall bell-tower that serves as an early warning system for the city.

The map was created using Krita. Hope you enjoy.

EDIT: The layout for this map was inspired by a previously commissioned map as well as interior art of the city. Tiana has just informed me that she was the artist who created the original map that I used for reference. Much of the design of the city map you see below draws directly from Tiana's original map, which can be found here.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Completed Map Display Small.png 
Views:	203 
Size:	3.79 MB 
ID:	119157  
    Last edited by arsheesh; 12-04-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Wow, impressive ! The color palette is very well chosen, and the lineart/shading is (as usual) great.
    I bet the south is on top, considering the melted snow on the roofs .

I have seen your pictures from this on instagram and I loved it from the start. Great work!

Cheers,
    Karl

I like the attention to the light source. Adds to the realism

It came out pretty good and looks clean.

It's a beaut. The cliffs are wonderful. And the colours are just perfectly suited.

Edit: Apparently I can't rep you, clearly I don't spread it around enough

Love the way you've done the snow and ice on this.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

I can really imagine this place, love the art style.

This is absolutely beautiful! I love the colors, snow is something I have a hard time with so I find this very amazing!

So basically, you just redrew my art and get all the internet approval credit for it and no one even knows that I designed that underlying city. Maybe you didn't even know. Great.

Edit: For the record, I can't actually remember if any kind of rights were discussed at the end of that commission and I don't intend on doing anything other than complaining this one time, go right ahead and post it wherever you want.
    Last edited by Tiana; 12-03-2019 at 02:57 AM.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast