Thread: Want to create a Portfolio: Seeking website advice

Default Want to create a Portfolio: Seeking website advice

I am sorry if this is a topic that has been discussed in another topic, but there is so much info on all sorts of subjects I could not find it

Before I jump straight to my query and get to THE POINT I feel the need to explain the "why now" a little for those interested.

I'm not a big fan of people supporting something they're good at with a sad story so in short it comes down to this:
    about a year and a half ago I got diagnosed with ADHD with a few complications. The doctors told me I am physically (and mentally ) no longer capable of doing the job I got educated for. The advise they gave me for future employment: "Do something you're good at, gives you positive energy and within a flexible timeframe".

And so I went back to the drawingboard (literally) redesigning my future plans.
    With the support of my family, friends and former employers I have decided to focus more on my drawings.
    I did alot of illustrating, creative design, roadmaps and webdesign for companies in the past, but always as a ancillary function on request of my employers.

THE POINT (finally, here it comes...)

I am slowly building a portfolio and am aware that commisioned work is still a long way ahead. But I need to start somewhere
    To showcase my work and WIP's I am using Instagram and Deviantart but those are rather generic and I would really like something that reflects me and my art.
    So I did some googling, took a stroll through the webhost forest and offcourse I got lost with all the Jimdos, Wixs, Artstations and Squarespaces.

So I really need some good advice to start my own website. Something to start with and potentially grow over time.
    What are you using and what are your experiences?

Well, my Kellerica Maps site (which is linked in my signature in case you are curious) is a very simple thing, and I'm just a bit ashamed to admit it was created with Wix. As someone with zero understanding of coding, I found it the best solution I could find. It's very simple, easy to use and you need very little anything else to get a website set up relatively quickly (although I think the domain and especially mailbox costs are a bit higher than they might be somewhere else).

In the end I was OK with the results - I can't code, but I did spend time making suitable backgrounds and other decorative elements myself, in order to get the site look like me.

So yeah, if you are like me and can't understand code to save your life, Wix gets my recommendation. To me, it was by far the most hassle-free way to get a website set up. It's definitely more limited than something like Wordpress would be, but to me it was enough as my needs very pretty simple.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Thank you Kellerica, I think your website looks fine, so no need to be ashamed
    I've put WIX on my list of hosts to check out and concider, I think the prizing is about avarage and I don't think there is a need for the most expensive packages they offer.