I am sorry if this is a topic that has been discussed in another topic, but there is so much info on all sorts of subjects I could not find it

Before I jump straight to my query and get to THE POINT I feel the need to explain the "why now" a little for those interested.

I'm not a big fan of people supporting something they're good at with a sad story so in short it comes down to this:
about a year and a half ago I got diagnosed with ADHD with a few complications. The doctors told me I am physically (and mentally ) no longer capable of doing the job I got educated for. The advise they gave me for future employment: "Do something you're good at, gives you positive energy and within a flexible timeframe".

And so I went back to the drawingboard (literally) redesigning my future plans.
With the support of my family, friends and former employers I have decided to focus more on my drawings.
I did alot of illustrating, creative design, roadmaps and webdesign for companies in the past, but always as a ancillary function on request of my employers.

THE POINT (finally, here it comes...)

I am slowly building a portfolio and am aware that commisioned work is still a long way ahead. But I need to start somewhere
To showcase my work and WIP's I am using Instagram and Deviantart but those are rather generic and I would really like something that reflects me and my art.
So I did some googling, took a stroll through the webhost forest and offcourse I got lost with all the Jimdos, Wixs, Artstations and Squarespaces.

So I really need some good advice to start my own website. Something to start with and potentially grow over time.
What are you using and what are your experiences?