Thread: Rivalon

Map Rivalon

Hello fellow Guildmates !

Roughly a month ago, I was commissioned by Rains to redraw a map he had started. He first pointed me to my Towers map as reference but progressively switched to a Valtoria look. There was a little bit of back and forth that allowed me to design several compass roses, a currency you never have enough of Adam (Rains) gave me much freedom and asked for a bit of help in the world building department and I happily provided it (he actually did all the heavy lifting, I just bounced a couple of strange ideas, some of which stuck).

I like the clear look of the map but most of all I like the compass rose (everyone's got its own obsession ). You can take a look at the WIP here, it helped me keep a good pace (and deliver the map 3 weeks in advance). Many thanks to all those who commented, you were very helpful

Here comes the map, it is 11x17 inches with a bit more for bleed purpose (Adam works at a printing company, he knows his stuff), comment AND critic are welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Post.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	119204
    © Thomas REY - 2019 - All rights reserved

Cheers !

PS : it's not the last map of the year

Beautiful... and yes, gorgeous compass rose

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Absolutely gorgeous! Excellent choice in colors and variations of environments!

Edit: Seems you are posting faster than I can hand out rep though! I need to pick up the pace .

It is a splendid map as always Thom, but if i may... I kinda would like to see more prominent sea colour/shade. The one that would help distinguish land from ocean more. Other than that. Cool !
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Looks awesome, Thom! Colours remind me a bit of Akae's city maps and looks really cool.

Only critique is it's quite hard to tell land from sea when zoomed in, particularly on the more open areas of land.

Quote Originally Posted by Misjay Maps View Post
    Beautiful... and yes, gorgeous compass rose
    Thanks a lot, it was fun do design

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous! Excellent choice in colors and variations of environments!

Edit: Seems you are posting faster than I can hand out rep though! I need to pick up the pace .
    Thanks a lot Arimel

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    It is a splendid map as always Thom, but if i may... I kinda would like to see more prominent sea colour/shade. The one that would help distinguish land from ocean more. Other than that. Cool !
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Looks awesome, Thom! Colours remind me a bit of Akae's city maps and looks really cool.

Only critique is it's quite hard to tell land from sea when zoomed in, particularly on the more open areas of land.
    You are both right about the distinction between sea and land. The map was originally meant for a deep blue sea but the client changed his mind. Perhaps I should have gone with a different background or maybe darken teh sea a bit more but the clear overall look of the map was pretty seducing too ... Anyway, I've made some print tests and it's easier to read in print than on a screen and it's meant for an A3 print version. Thanks for the constructive feedback Rafal and Greg, I know I can always count on you

Great map, Thomas! I particularly like the compass and the swamps on this one.

It's nice to be able to see this up close. The mountains are really cool. That compass rose really shines, wonderful work. Another excellent piece Thomas. Sadly it looks like I'm going to have to spread the rep a bit more though.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Great map, Thomas! I particularly like the compass and the swamps on this one.
    Merci beaucoup Julien The client wanted a Pacific North-West kind of setting with rainforest and such so I decided to have many marshlands (it's the idea I have of the biome and it might be not that much faithful to the land). It also helped showing where the water slows and how the elevation works.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    It's nice to be able to see this up close. The mountains are really cool. That compass rose really shines, wonderful work. Another excellent piece Thomas. Sadly it looks like I'm going to have to spread the rep a bit more though.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks Tad I do like that compass