Thread: New Improved Mountain Algorithm -- "Samboria"

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Default New Improved Mountain Algorithm -- "Samboria"

Hello Guild,

This project represents my latest efforts to pique the curiosity of anybody who prefers "realistic topographic" style maps, and would be interested in commissioning such a piece. Forgive me for being a little careless with the placement of the lakes; I was primarily focussing on generating a realistic mountain-building algorithm for the time being. As always, I'm open to criticism, so please let me know about any strengths/weaknesses that you've found in my process.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Samboria.png 
Views:	157 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	119271

Thank you.

Peter

Some very nice mountain shapes there! I'd love to know more about your mountain algorithm.

The mountains look really good!

Looks interesting, can you go into how we'd use your algorithm, is it color based, what program uses it, etc.?
    What's your process?

Does your algorithm take into account existing "ranges" of values and/or colors to generate the mountains? I'm looking for something that can take an existing map and generate detailed mountains like that also allow me to control how the randomization occurs, especially the details at the edges of the defined area of the mountain ranges.

Thanks!