Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Map of Aldronan: by Jared Blando

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Map Map of Aldronan: by Jared Blando

Hey all,

Here is a map of Aldronan, yet another small map I did as a personal commission for client of mine. He came to me asking for two maps (i will post the other "Aldronad" later), both of worlds that he had written "novels" for when he was a young adult. Now that he is older and looking back on what he had done as a kid, he wanted to get his worlds made into prints that he could put up on his kids walls. These pieces were very personal for him, and was more for the nostalgia, not as publishable pieces.

After a brief chat on the phone, he sent me the sketches he had, as well as a B/W map that had been done by an previous artist years ago. Then I got to work.

I wanted a traditional "Classic" looking fantasy map, and went with the mountain style I came up with for the Manifest Map, which I think the worked quite well in this one. One of the challenges of both of these maps were they were not super populated with locations and terrain, so I had to use the space as creatively and effectively as I could. he let me run with it, which is always nice.

Comments and crits always welcome,
    ~JB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aldronan Final 175dpi R.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	119469  

Beautiful maps Jared! What a great idea to post the maps on his children's wall, The maps should spark their imagination for years!

As gorgeous as your work has always been, and the origins of the piece make is just plain adorable. Amazing stuf, man.
    Last edited by Kellerica; 12-24-2019 at 05:49 AM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Your style and colors are wonderful! Slight problem with the rivers but this can be ignored over the wonderfulness of the rest of the map!

What a heart-warming story and a charming map on top. Thanks for sharing, Jared!

I love the overall feel of the map (as almost always with your maps) and I think the mountains work very well (I also loved your Manifest map, so no surprise here). I am not that fond of the forest-style, to be honest, but I guess tastes do vary and all that.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Excellent map!

My favorite thing is how the border is so well integrated with the map. That's hard to pull off. Well done!

Such a wonderful way to invite your kids in your universe ! And you made a perfect map for the two generations, if not more !

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Thanks for all the kind words! I'll be posting the sister map today or tomorrow.

I get funny ideas when I look at some maps and the first thing that comes to my mind looking at this one is, "creamy". I suppose that's my Rorschach result or something but what it means is I really like it. it looks like it ought to be a desert so that's a good thing even if you don't know what I'm talking about, LOL.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast