Thread: Map of Aldronad by Jared Blando

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Map Map of Aldronad by Jared Blando

Hey All,

As promised, here is the companion map of Aldranon, this one is the continent/world of Aldronad.

If you didn't see the first map of Aldronan/explanation, Quick summary: This was done for a client of mine for books he wrote as a child. Now that he is older, he has kids of his own and wanted to revisit his own past along with the happy memories of his childhood. He is going to put these up on his kids walls as mementos for them.

Style wise I sort of mashed this one up, departing from the other map in the depiction of the trees (I liked using different colors in Oakwood here), and elected to illustrate the locations in simple inks with red coloring, as often happens in older maps. I kept the mountains because yet again, I like how they fit the aesthetic. I think I could've done a gold ink for the compass bursts, but went with the simpler and more convenient white. The clouds were more of a design element to fill in the corners, but i think they suit the dreamlike quality of the setting.

This map is also pretty small, only about 8.5 x 11" though the HQ files can be doubled for a larger print. Its not as detailed as many of my others, but it didn't need to be, and just as the case with the other, it was not chock full of locations so I can use space creatively.

Comments and critiques always welcome,
    ~JB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aldronad Final sample125dpi.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	119549  
    Last edited by TheRedEpic; 12-28-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Really nice Jared!

Looking hot.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Inspiring pieces of art Jared

Wonderful border and compass, among other delicious elements... always a fan ! ^^

I really like the art work of this map but I think your client is overdue for an interview with the river police

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I like this map a little less than the previous one, due to the geographical peculiarities that make it a little less "natural", but your work remains magnificent! The forests, in particular, are very successful!

Considering the backstory it's a bit more understandable, but the mapper in me just can't overlook how wrong those rivers look But the designer part of me is mesmerized by the penmanship, the decorations and especially the texture (it is absolutely gorgeous!!!). I've always liked your maps, but your style has evolved into something even more amazing. It's always a treat when you post something new.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

You have such a way with colors ... the lineart is awesome as always but what really hits me with your maps is the atmosphere you set with your coloring.