Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Map of Orbis Vapor

Default Map of Orbis Vapor

Hello everyone,

My last finished map for this year is my entry for the november/december challenge: Map of Orbis Vapor (World of Steam)
    For the challenge I decided to make a map in a steampunk(ish)/Victorian style.

This was my challenge introduction story for the map:

It is the year 2069 PI (Posterius Inundation - After the Flood) as we write.

After a year of waiting your request to visit the archives of the Cartopeian Library of the Scribes has finally been approved.
    You slowly make your way from the entrance of the Library towards the back of the hall, carefully placing your feet to make sure you don't disturb the dust on the ground. The further you venture from the entrance, the older the maps on the stone shelves around you.
    You realise the archives are in the furthest part of the Hall and thousands of maps and scrolls lay between you and its entrance.

Upon reaching the entrance you reach for the large bronze key in your pocket.
    The lamp in your hand makes a crackling sound while it casts a soft orange glow on the scrollfilled shelves around you.
    It takes some effort but you are able to turn the key and hear the dry click indicating the rusted lock has granted you acess.
    You open the heavy oaken door by putting some weight to it and make your way inside.

On the far end of the room you place your lamp on an old greying desk and place your leather satchel backpack on the ground next to it.
    A rather large and thick book placed upon a pedestal next to the desk catches your eye.
    The book is bound in a brownish leather and through the layer of dust you can read part of the book's titel: Orbisvapor.
    Beneath the map lies an oaken box, about 50X70X10 cm in size. Its corners are strengthened with pieces of brass...the hinches and lock, despite their greenish patina, appear to be made out of copper.
    Inside you discover a rather colourfull map. It has been handdrawn on parchment which in turn has been attached to an oaken board. The borders of the map have been decorated with what appears to be parts of a steam driven machine...

Some time in the future scientists discover a meteor is approaching Earth. They predict it will take the meteor about 15-25 years to reach earth and impact somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean causing big parts of the landmasses to be permanently flooded.
    My map will show "Europe" (now named Orbisvapor - combining the words Orbis and Vapor - World and Steam) after the big flood with rebuild cities and cultures.
    Because most of the old natural recourses are no longer accessable but water is plenty availlable I want to give the whole map a Steampunk-ish/Vernian theme. After my Map of Thra I really started to appreciate the flexibillity working digitally gives me so I will do that again...and again on a large scale, probably at A2-ish.

I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did creating it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Orbisvapor Final jpeg.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	3.25 MB 
ID:	119571

It's an excellent map and all the little detail inserts and illustrations work so well and are very clear and readable. Really fantastic job.

So much good ideas ! I love the cities, the layout, the little animals here and there...
    You have a particular style that is very harmonious and pleasant, Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    It's an excellent map and all the little detail inserts and illustrations work so well and are very clear and readable. Really fantastic job.
    Thank you so much Falconius, I am very glad you liked it

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    So much good ideas ! I love the cities, the layout, the little animals here and there...
    You have a particular style that is very harmonious and pleasant, Marc.
    And still it took me a while to embrace my own style Ilanthar
    But now that I did it’s been such joy to see my own devellopments.
    Thank you for the grand comment!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

I think my home has been drowned here . Really nice though and it is always fun that all of these maps have a clearly recognizable Italy!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

The steam punk atmosphere is so well rendered! Congratulations! And the worldbuilding that goes with it is exciting! I love the maps of our geographically altered world! (I still wonder if the reason why I like to look at these maps of the rising waters isn't because I'm Swiss? )

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    I think my home has been drowned here . Really nice though and it is always fun that all of these maps have a clearly recognizable Italy!
    I tried to make it look like a slipper, but that didn't work out to well
    Thank you for the kind words Arimel!

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    The steam punk atmosphere is so well rendered! Congratulations! And the worldbuilding that goes with it is exciting! I love the maps of our geographically altered world! (I still wonder if the reason why I like to look at these maps of the rising waters isn't because I'm Swiss? )
    They're scary and intriguing at the same time and I'm from the Netherlands. Thank god I learned how to swimm!
    Thanks JO, glad you like it

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    I tried to make it look like a slipper, but that didn't work out to well
    Thank you for the kind words Arimel!

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    They're scary and intriguing at the same time and I'm from the Netherlands. Thank god I learned how to swimm!
    Thanks JO, glad you like it

Said it already in the WIP thread, but this is a delightful piece. You've got a very unique style that I really like. The map itself is very nice, but it's the border and little illustrations of the important locations that make this great. Nice work, I really enjoyed watching this come together.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Said it already in the WIP thread, but this is a delightful piece. You've got a very unique style that I really like. The map itself is very nice, but it's the border and little illustrations of the important locations that make this great. Nice work, I really enjoyed watching this come together.
    Thanks again Kell, and a happy new year to you and yours!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast