Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hand drawn maps

Those are beautiful maps.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

That's good work, and a hell of a level! Bravo! Your friends are lucky to receive such gifts! And congratulations also for the shooting of your cards, they are beautifully highlighted, in a very unusual style.

Very impressive !

Guild Journeyer Impractical Cartographer's Avatar

Thank you for the kind words.

Maybe someday I should really do some tutorial on how to hand-draw maps.

However, I think I should rather start with something simpler and put a "work in progress" thread where you can follow the way I draw, hit, ask and comment on the progress.

I got one word for you...Yowsa! Those are excellent works. I would definitely follow along if you post a tutorial, even if for nothing else than to see your work flow.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Guild Journeyer Impractical Cartographer's Avatar

Ok, I'd like to ask you something else.

What do you think about using fantastic or ancient script on maps? Or even an ancient and extinct language? Is atmosphere or readability more important?
    Do the next Dragon Mountains really have to be named in English/French/other language? Maybe it's better to use runes? Cuneiform? A forgotten alphabet?

I used Glagolitic script only on this map. Glagolitsa is the oldest known Slavic alphabet created in the 9th century by Saint Cyril. Currently, it is used only in the holy books and Orthodox liturgy. Few people know this script and he can read them.

But I think it makes the map more interesting, more intriguing and more mysterious.

What is your opinion?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coin.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	694.9 KB 
ID:	119657  

I personally don't have a problem with ancient/forgotten scripts because, as you mentioned, they can add atmosphere to a map. What I see in such instances is an "English translation" in a smaller script underneath the main script so that people can identify locations more easily unless they are not supposed to be able to do such.

(Hope that made sense)
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

I go the other way. I just get frustrated if I can't read or understand a map. Sure, you could argue that it's just art, but even when I look at ancient maps, I don't get as interested because I can't read the words. As in that pretty Japanese map someone posted the other day, I just want one I can read, otherwise I give it a glance and move on. So if we're going to make pretty fantasy maps, I want them in a modern language that I'm fluent in. (Sadly, in my case that's only English, but if I was fluent in French and German and Spanish and Latin instead of just retaining the tiniest bit of familiarity, I would include them as well.) I suppose that ultimately it depends on what, or who, you're making it for, right?

I kind of agree with Baron at least in terms of the mappiness of a map. You have to consider that when you use obscure languages or even made up languages you are deliberately excluding everyone who doesn't read that language. Which is fine, so long as you realize that that is the actual choice you are making.

I love ciphers included on maps, because ciphers are not unbreakable. Personally I think this looks great. I love art maps, maps in other languages and forgotten scripts, but most of all if they can be decoded.

I use a conscript on a map of my own world. I use it for splash, though, not for the entire piece, and it is an English cipher that could be decoded. I think this gives a certain amount of puzzle flair so I enjoy it.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast