Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Hand drawn maps

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Forests... was there ever another such love-hate relationship?

Guild Journeyer Impractical Cartographer's Avatar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1wodka.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	120017

I wonder if I was the first to figure out that you can use vodka for watercolors.
    You will ask: why?
    Well, because vodka dries faster and does not deform paper.
    Am I a genius?

Wouldn't it just be easier to use isopropyl alcohol or denatured alcohol or methyl hydrate, which is cheap? It is an interesting idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Wouldn't it just be easier to use isopropyl alcohol or denatured alcohol or methyl hydrate, which is cheap? It is an interesting idea.
    Isopropyl & denatured alcohol stinks awfully! Strong alcohol discolours the paint too much. So I use vodka (In Poland, it's cheap).

Quote Originally Posted by Impractical Cartographer View Post
    Isopropyl & denatured alcohol stinks awfully! Strong alcohol discolours the paint too much. So I use vodka (In Poland, it's cheap).
    It's good to know. I got to try it sometime.

Why, I have some vodka right here... Oh no. Well, at least it was delicious!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Impractical Cartographer View Post
    Yeah, I was wondering (my understanding of chemistry being... let's call it "limited") if alcohol didn't chemically interact with the different substances in paint. I mean, for all I know it could turn red into blue or black into transparent or whatever... and maybe it depends on the pigment used to get a certain colour too? I know you can get different blues by using vastly different substances, so these all would react differently with the alcohol, I would think. But once again, what do I know about chemistry! (the answer is: not very much) So I'm curious what it does to the different colours/pigments/...!

Quote Originally Posted by Baron View Post
    Why, I have some vodka right here... Oh no. Well, at least it was delicious!
    I laughed!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    So I'm curious what it does to the different colours/pigments/...!
    I think you're mistaking alcohol for acid.

Vodka with blue watercolor still works. The colour is brightened up, but it is still blue.
    It dries quickly. The paper is not deformed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1blue.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	120032

I'm also wondering if we shouldn't get into vodka production - eight colours of magic or something

I already heard about mixed white alcohol + water used for watercolor in extreme temperatures : no-one wants to have a palette freezing while painting a snowy landscape. However, it sounds alcohol works well for the first layer, but not on the second one, as it tends to separate the pigments from the paper, making the "wet on dry" technique almost impossible. I assume it depends on paper and pigments thought ^^
    There's a joke saying you're not a watercolorist before having a watercolor "naturally enhanced" with rain spots, and painting a coastal view with sea water. Definitely would add to this : "before you paint a map with vodka"

I'm not a watercolorist. I use watercolors to a very limited purposes to colour or shade something. I had a problem with the fact that even small amounts of water deformed my favorite paper. So I started experimenting. I thought: if the alcohol markers don't deform my paper, maybe I should try adding alcohol to the paints. And that's how it started

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast