Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kelvanra Isle (aka the land of Kell)

Map Kelvanra Isle (aka the land of Kell)

You have no idea how glad I am to call this one finished. I started this one back at the end of 2018, and I don't think it's ever taken this long for me to finish a map. I know there are a lot of members here who do these insanely ambitious projects that spawn for even longer, but this is very unusual for me. I haven't felt that great today, but I decided to stick with this as a way to take my mind of it, and now I'm glad I did. I'm so very relieved to finally have this done.

So, this is my contribution to the Guild World project. I'm... very, very late to the party, I know, but I really wanted to be a part of this thing anyway. This is the grand isle Kelvanra, a neighbour to JO's Northern Maze, a country divided between two warring peoples in a time of a tense truce.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kelvanra_fin_smaller.jpg 
Views:	1909 
Size:	5.10 MB 
ID:	119732

I really hope you like it. I'm rather happy how this one turned out, and it's good to be doing some personal mapping work aside from commissions. Somehow it's just more fun that way - don't know if it's just me.

The WIP can be seen here, in case anyone is interested.
    Last edited by Kellerica; 02-21-2020 at 03:16 AM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

It's absolutely beautiful !!!!
    The map, the border, the colors, the labels, the details !! A splendid work and a very fine addition to the guild world !!!

I like it a lot. It's an almost brightly colored map (at least for you, Kell ). A very nice composition over all. And i do like the forests/trees in this composition. It fits well, imho. The mountains fit as well, even if I am not the biggest fan of them, in general. So I'd say a job well done!

I do hope that you feel better! If not yet, than hopefully very very soon. Sending you good vibes over to Finland!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    The mountains fit as well, even if I am not the biggest fan of them, in general.
    I think I remember you saying this about some previous map of mine too - is there something in particular about them that bothers you? I've really tried to step up my mountains game lately, so if there is something you think I could do better, I'd love to know.

I do hope that you feel better! If not yet, than hopefully very very soon. Sending you good vibes over to Finland!
    Thanks I'm already feeling a lot better than in the morning, so definitely getting better.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

It looks wonderful, Kell.
    Glad to have this as part of the world.

If it's any consolation, I have tons of maps in various stages of progress from back farther than 2017.
    It's just too many to complete all in a timely manner. And, some maps are maybe for another time.
    I try to look at it that way. ;P Then I don't get so bummed that they aren't done.
    I have a city section form city of Guild that hasn't been touched since 2017.

As to fun... yeah, for the most part, personal maps are nearly always more fun and satisfying than work ones.
    Not always. I suspect part of it is the knowing that the map HAS to get done.. or you don't get paid. Then you don't eat.
    That can take some of the fun out of it. For me anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    I think I remember you saying this about some previous map of mine too - is there something in particular about them that bothers you? I've really tried to step up my mountains game lately, so if there is something you think I could do better, I'd love to know.
    Ok, so I will try to pin it down a bit. As i said, I think the style fits the map overall. My nitpicks can be summed up like this:

The mountains could use some clearer defined ridge-lines than just the strong outer-line, for one. Then, as a second nitpick, I think to look even more "realistic", you could vary the different mountains a bit more to really get that mountain-range feel instead of just the "lots of singular mountains placed beside each other". So, for example, combine some of them into a cluster of mountains, "grown" together at some points.

Now this is of course something you might not want to go with because in your (the artist's view) it doesn't fit and/or you just disagree in general. And that's fair. Some things are just a matter of taste. As someone with a degree in geography/geology, I often find that i like the more realistic approach better than a more simplified/more iconic approach. But not always, of course.
    So yeah, there you have it. Hope that helped (even if you disagree on the aesthetics).

Glad to hear you feel better
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

That looks wonderful! I love the style you chose and the colors you applied! Heaps of inspiration here.

It's beautiful Kel, I love your boarder and your ocean labels as well. Nice fonts too. All in all it's a really nice piece of work.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Wow, such punchy colors! I really like the forests and the castle symbols. The lettering is great, too.

Damn, that is a fine looking map.

I personally love the mountains, they feel more period-authentic to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast