Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: January 2020 Challenge : Map of Ulrizen

And here come the fantastic cities !!

If you want the text boxes to remain editable, make them as separate files and then combine them afterwards.

I think it looks neat, if you want to get the lineless style down there's no better way than to just try it until you make results you're happy with, I swivel between doing comic style pieces and more impressionist style pieces and I think it's important to capture what the world feels like to you, so if you want this one to be a bit fuzzier, then go for it. I like to dab on sharp highlights when doing fuzzier artwork to pop areas out. It's all clear to me what you're intending.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Man what a cool piece of memorabilia that old module is! I'm really impressed with the amount of work your younger self must have invested into writing it. Cool stuff. The updated map looks splendid so far. That big castle is killer.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    And here come the fantastic cities !!
    Thanks Ilanthar... No cities this time.. just castles, temple, and such...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    If you want the text boxes to remain editable, make them as separate files and then combine them afterwards.

I think it looks neat, if you want to get the lineless style down there's no better way than to just try it until you make results you're happy with, I swivel between doing comic style pieces and more impressionist style pieces and I think it's important to capture what the world feels like to you, so if you want this one to be a bit fuzzier, then go for it. I like to dab on sharp highlights when doing fuzzier artwork to pop areas out. It's all clear to me what you're intending.
    Thanks a lot Tiana ! Like you say : I do try a lot... but it's difficult to be happy with a result without thinking that... maybe, if I do it otherwise... It could look better... I have lot of version of the same file, with different attempts on each one. But I'm glad you see what I'm trying to do : it's very encouraging !

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Man what a cool piece of memorabilia that old module is! I'm really impressed with the amount of work your younger self must have invested into writing it. Cool stuff. The updated map looks splendid so far. That big castle is killer.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks Arsheesh ! I'm surprised too by the amount of time and energy I spent on this campaign (and for nothing...) I'm glad you like the new map.. I try to be faithfull with the younger me : the castle looks like I drew it nearly 40 years ago (I wouldn't do it like that, now)... Same for the castle up north, the temple and the palace (a palace alone on a tiny island so far up north... hem... ) I just changed the building on the "skull" island : it was supposed to be a pyramid, but I think, it's too much.. So I made a mountain that looks more or less like a pyramid.

Trust your heart, pick one version and go for it! You're running out of time!

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    I just changed the building on the "skull" island : it was supposed to be a pyramid, but I think, it's too much.. So I made a mountain that looks more or less like a pyramid.
    ROFL a skull inspired island is fine but a pyramid is just too much, I love it. I don't think it's important to the challenge to keep every aspect from the original but to challenge your skill and vision.

Also I like line variation more than I like static line widths in art, I like the lineart style just fine the way it is, the map just needs to be populated more.
    Last edited by Tiana; 01-21-2020 at 08:39 AM.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Trust your heart, pick one version and go for it! You're running out of time!

ROFL a skull inspired island is fine but a pyramid is just too much, I love it. I don't think it's important to the challenge to keep every aspect from the original but to challenge your skill and vision.

Also I like line variation more than I like static line widths in art, I like the lineart style just fine the way it is, the map just needs to be populated more.
    Thanks Tiana... I had to draw a line somewhere... and it was with this pyramid (but, sure, the rest of the map is not very believable... I just try to save as much as possible from the old map)
    Actually, now I try to fade as much as possible the coast line and I'll see how it goes. Regarding population, I have ideas... just need the time.
    Anyway, thanks for your comments, it's much appreciated

Been keeping an eye on your progress in sillence Jo, but I just need to compliment your work. The whole map allready is telling a story and I like that you kept it close to the original. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Been keeping an eye on your progress in sillence Jo, but I just need to compliment your work. The whole map allready is telling a story and I like that you kept it close to the original. Keep it up!
    Thanks a lot, Marc ! I hope I can put everything I think of in the map before the end of the month !

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast