Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: January 2020 Challenge : Map of Ulrizen

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    It's cute, lots of fun features. Hope you get the border done in time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Héhé, those knights have a lot of work, it seems . I hope you'll find the time to fill the frame, indeed.
    Thank you for your support!

I just spent the last three days glued to my chair in front of the computer... I think I've got something that looks more or less like a finished map.

There are a lot of solutions that I haven't found (especially for the border and the thumbnails: I tried many different ways to add a background color, but none of them were valid in my eyes... It made the whole thing too heavy, and the whole thing is already almost indigestible to my taste).

I tried to go fast, so a lot of monsters are copies or adaptations of monsters found in medieval illuminations.

I made it very difficult for me to achieve my goals, which were to make a map that has both a medieval and antique look (to reflect the old age of the original map), that is still more or less faithful to the map I drew thirty years ago and that tells a adventure.

In the end, I'm not sure that the medieval look is present on the map (probably it is on the border, but the map seems far too current to me).
    The fidelity to the original map is quite respected, I think... Maybe too much, because I think the original map is quite devoid of interest (the drawing of the coasts, the relief, the various elements completely crazy - a palace on a frozen island? really?) and as a result, the current map reflects this lack of interest (that's why I went for this medieval look: the drawings of the time are sometimes as crazy as the original map, in terms of mixing elements and credibility).
    The adventure, I think it's quite present. If only by the text. I tried to illustrate it also in the drawings of adventurers and monsters, as well as with thumbnails and objects: It was a map meant for an D&D adventure, I tried to make the current map reflect this adventure.

I think I had a lot of trouble getting out of my comfort zone, and in the end it's not really a success, but hey ! It's a challenge, and isn't the goal to try things? On that point at least, I've tried...

This should be the final version, but if you see any details or mistakes, I can always try to make a new version before the end of the challenge? Feel free to criticize and comment, anyway !

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ulrizen 09.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	10.87 MB 
ID:	120133

I really like this one, Joel
    I'm going to have to explore this realm.

:O amazing work Jo!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I really like this one, Joel
    I'm going to have to explore this realm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    :O amazing work Jo!
    Thanks a lot for the support...

Small corrections in the bordure (there may be another one later, if the challenge is still open) :

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Ulrizen guilde 08.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	10.91 MB 
ID:	120154

And another correction...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Ulrizen guilde 09.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	10.90 MB 
ID:	120155

Now, I think that's about all I can think about to improve this map... Unless you have any other advice or if you see an error that I could still correct, this should be the very latest version.

Thanks for your advice!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Ulrizen guilde 10.jpg 
Views:	11 
ID:	120157

I also think that Kellerica had an excellent idea (one more) by comparing her first map and today's one. So, I'm getting into it too:

Name:	Ulrizen guilde Comparatif.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	6.99 MB 
ID:	120158

And of cours, there's always the little details you see after you're finished....

I Hope it's the final one...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Ulrizen guilde 11.jpg 
Views:	71 
ID:	120159

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234