Thread: Software or templates for starmap making for an author?

Default Software or templates for starmap making for an author?

I've got several scifi universes going with my books, and I'd really like to be able to map things out and be able to keep the relevant info attached to the map. Ideally I'd like to find some software that would let me build my starmap and move around through it dynamically while setting custom stars, planets, borders, trade routes, etc... and that has a field for inputting details about each of those items.

Failing that I'd appreciate links to any software or even Photoshop templates that would allow me to create quick 2D static maps. Thanks.

If you're familiar with the role-playing game Traveller, I might have a couple of suggestions for you. Campaign Cartographer has Traveller functionality, which may require an add-on purchase. Or you might try and track down an old piece of software called Heaven and Earth, by Stuart Ferris. I think either would let you build those starmaps with planets, and add notes into them. Or there may be something else out there I've forgotten or am unaware of, but basically what you're looking to do is what every Traveller game master needs. Hm, there was a guy working on something called Traveller Hub that might do, as well. In fact, if you're a coder-type, you might look at travellermap.com . You can get their source code and I imagine input your own data.

You could also take a look at Astro Synth at nbos.com

It has pretty much everything you are asking about, and not a terribly steep learning curve.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges