Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Draw Marshes On Your Maps

Default How to Draw Marshes On Your Maps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marsh-Header.jpg 
Views:	737 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	119830

Here is a preview of a new tutorial I've put together which will walk you through how to draw Marshes on your maps. Many of you have reached out to me about putting a tutorial together on how to draw marshes, and I'm excited to announce it is finally here!

Marshes are an interesting feature to add to your maps as they are transitional areas between land and water with a very iconic look. What sets a marsh apart from a swamp though is they are made up of grasses and leafy vegetation rather than woody growth like trees. Click the link below for some simple steps on how to draw Marshes on your own maps.

CLICK HERE to check out the full tutorial

I hope you find this tutorial helpful and be sure to comment if you have any questions.

All the best!
    - Josh

Ah yes! Just what I was looking for, thank you very much for your tutorial I was wondering how to draw my marshes for my current map!

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleSoup View Post
    Ah yes! Just what I was looking for, thank you very much for your tutorial I was wondering how to draw my marshes for my current map!
    You’re very welcome!

- Josh

Thanks, marshes are always something I've had trouble drawing, and now I guess I'm on the right way to get rid of that problem. I'm especially glad I've found that, as marshess play a key role in the plot of my story...

Quote Originally Posted by Razgriz05 View Post
    Thanks, marshes are always something I've had trouble drawing, and now I guess I'm on the right way to get rid of that problem. I'm especially glad I've found that, as marshess play a key role in the plot of my story...
    Hey I'm glad you found it helpful! I'm excited to see how you put it to use for your story

- Josh

Guild Member Guild Supporter

Great tutorial! I checked out your site too. Look forward to trying your brushes and techniques.

Guild Member Guild Supporter

Really happy with how this turned out. Didn't quite get the relief on the edges as I'd like, not sure what I'm missing to do that. But overall, way better than anything else I've done so far in terms of this type of isometric style. Thanks again.

Name:	marsh Sidmandoo.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	124390

Quote Originally Posted by Sidmandoo View Post
    Great tutorial! I checked out your site too. Look forward to trying your brushes and techniques.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidmandoo View Post
    Really happy with how this turned out. Didn't quite get the relief on the edges as I'd like, not sure what I'm missing to do that. But overall, way better than anything else I've done so far in terms of this type of isometric style. Thanks again.

Name:	marsh Sidmandoo.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	124390
    Thank you, I’m glad you found the tutorial helpful! Your marsh turned out well. I think try including more areas along the waters edge where it juts out a bit more so you can give the illusion of the land overlapping. That will help add depth.

- Josh

Very nice tip! My players have just decided to enter the marshlands so I will probably be getting some use out of this soon!

Question Adding some plants?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshStolarz View Post

Name:	Marsh-Header.jpg 
Views:	737 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	119830
    CLICK HERE to check out the full tutorial

I hope you find this tutorial helpful and be sure to comment if you have any questions.

All the best!
    - Josh
    This is awesome! I hope to be using this technique in my new map along with your forest tutorial.

Any thoughts on whether adding some tufts of tall grass or a scrub brush here and there would detract from the overall effect?

Also, I know it is not on this tutorial, but I was wondering if you would comment on whether you thought deciduous trees would work as well for your forest tutorial? I was going to use something premade but I really like the look of your conifers and thought I might be able to manage converting it over.

- E
    Last edited by eepjr24; 11-04-2020 at 05:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast