Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Lake Map

Wip Mountain Lake Map

Hey! I thought I would share some WIP shots of the current map I am working on. This is a personal project that really just emerged one morning while I was sketching an idea I had in my mind. Now it is developing into a full on map that I hope to continue to work on and share updates with you guys.

The idea for this map is a secluded lake in the mountains, with very little as far as human habitation. But as you can see from the most recent image, what seemed to be a peaceful mountain lake appears to have something more sinister lurking below the surface. The question is, how did it get there and is it real or just a local myth?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake-Map (Sketch).jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	119855 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake-Map (Mountains).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	445.3 KB 
ID:	119856 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake-Map (Features).jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	485.9 KB 
ID:	119857

Let me know what you think! Always love to hear feedback
    - Josh

HI Josh,

Great looking map so far. I'm loving the inhabited lake you have there. I look forward to seeing the rest of this come about.

Kind Regards,
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by W_Keystone View Post
    HI Josh,

Great looking map so far. I'm loving the inhabited lake you have there. I look forward to seeing the rest of this come about.

Kind Regards,
    Will
    Thanks Will, I appreciate it. Next thing I'll probably add is the little fishing town in the upper right part of the lake. I look forward to hearing what you think as it comes along

- Josh

Here is a little update to my lake map. I have added an illustrated torn border around the edges, as well as added a paper texture to the overall map. It's really starting to feel like it's coming together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake-Map-Border.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	433.8 KB 
ID:	120028

Hope you like it!

- Josh

I really like it, Josh. The few details like the lake monster and small fishing town you added make for a charming map, nice bordering as well.

One thing I'll say is that I would really enjoy seeing this done up with some color, but that's a personal preference over anything else.

Keep em coming!

IR

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    I really like it, Josh. The few details like the lake monster and small fishing town you added make for a charming map, nice bordering as well.

One thing I'll say is that I would really enjoy seeing this done up with some color, but that's a personal preference over anything else.

Keep em coming!

IR
    Hey thank you, I really enjoy adding those little details so I’m glad you like them

I’ve been debating if I wanted to add full color or just shading. I appreciate your feedback on this though. Thanks!

- Josh

Guild Novice

Maybe shade it as a night scene? Moon reflection off the water? Imagination runs a bit wild thinking about that thing coming out at night while everyone is asleep.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kozzie View Post
    Maybe shade it as a night scene? Moon reflection off the water? Imagination runs a bit wild thinking about that thing coming out at night while everyone is asleep.
    Ooh yes, a night map! There aren't too many of those. Plus, you could add a few (unnatural?) spots of light here and there to hint at other creepy beasties!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by kozzie View Post
    I think that's a pretty interesting idea, thanks for the suggestion. And yes, assuming the serpent only comes out at night or dusk is a terrifying thought

- Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    Ooh yes, a night map! There aren't too many of those. Plus, you could add a few (unnatural?) spots of light here and there to hint at other creepy beasties!
    You could do spots of light as if that's where there are cloud breaks. I do really like the idea, I'll have to think on how to execute it and convey "night" and not just underexposed

- Josh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast