Thread: How to make coastlines in a specific style

Default How to make coastlines in a specific style

There are many maps of Tamriel out there and I love a specific style. They made the coasts in such a way that extending inward are jagged black lines surrounding the entire map. Does anyone know how these were generated or were they all done by hand?

Here is an example:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=tamr...#imgrc=L5fX7Kh

That link just goes to a Google search of Tamriel maps for me. Do you mean something like this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hatchingexamples.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	119990

Yes, are you referring to the hatching lines in the example KM shared above? They are all drawn by hand in those examples but there are ways to add them digitally in Photoshop pretty easily. I haven't done it in awhile personally but it can be done.

- Josh

Thanks a lot for sharing, KM! This is a different method that I normally use, and while I can't really dig into it now, just by a quick glance it looks like it could be potentially a better one than mine! Thank you so much, I can't wait to experiment with this. You really are a treasure, man, so many amazing resources!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I would just go by hand with a hatching brush underneath the solid coast color layer, or, fill in the entire ocean with vertical lines on a new layer and then select the landmass with a feather to the selection, expand my selection, invert it, and delete the "deep" ocean segments.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Thanks a lot for sharing, KM! This is a different method that I normally use, and while I can't really dig into it now, just by a quick glance it looks like it could be potentially a better one than mine! Thank you so much, I can't wait to experiment with this. You really are a treasure, man, so many amazing resources!
    You bet, Kell! That's is very kind of you to say.