Thread: The Divided Lands

Default The Divided Lands

This one takes place in the same fantasy setting I used for the City of Ktorr.

It's still based on the lore from a personal short story, and displays a broader view of two warring countries, the human dukedoms and the orcish princedoms.
    They both share a natural border with the wild lands where many outcast races, from elves to lesser greenskins, struggle to protect their fragile homelands.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DividedLand.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	119975

I definitely could have done better with the positioning of the names... A problem I should be able to solve thanks to the valuable documentation I found on this forum.

Thanks for your feedback !
    Last edited by Marc Moureau; 01-20-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Guild Novice

I really like the colors. After getting into my map more I started realizing I could have done a lot better on name positioning. Some areas I was more focused on the layout and forgot to leave space. I don't use digital so I just adapted. Only suggestion I could make at this point would be the capitalization of the names. Some differences in the way you named certain places would be "The Bony Steppes" compared to an alternate way "The Labirynth of fogs." (Labyrinth).

I love the border and the artwork. That's one thing I really want to learn to do well. Great job.

-Kozz

Oh, oh, look at that ! Isn't it an absolutely wonderful map drawn with a really great style ? You have all my attention, Marc !

Et tant que j'y suis : bienvenue dans la Guilde !

Amazing stuff! You have a unique style that immediately makes me think of grand adventures with a fun twist. I love those little cities! Great colours and a killer border too. I'm personally not a huge fan of the lines around the coastlines (there are some in there that are just little too straight to look really organic), but overall the look is extremely solid.

So glad you've joined us, please share more! I can't rep you again so soon, but this would certainly deserve it.

If I may, you might consider posting these works to the Finished Maps section of the forum. The WIP section is of course fine too, if you are looking for feedback and are still going to work on the map further, but the maps you've posted so far look very finished and polished to me. Certainly Finished maps section worthy.
    Last edited by Kellerica; 01-22-2020 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Kell apparently can't type correctly today. Typos galore!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzie
    Only suggestion I could make at this point would be the capitalization of the names. Some differences in the way you named certain places would be "The Bony Steppes" compared to an alternate way "The Labirynth of fogs." (Labyrinth).
    Thanks for pointing it out ! I'm going to fix it at once.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee
    Oh, oh, look at that ! Isn't it an absolutely wonderful map drawn with a really great style ? You have all my attention, Marc !
    Thank you very much ! You have mine as well, your work is outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee
    Et tant que j'y suis : bienvenue dans la Guilde !
    Avec un tel accueil, c'est un plaisir.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica
    Amazing stuff! You have a unique style that immediately makes me think of grand adventures with a fun twist.
    That's a very nice compliment ! Your maps are gorgeous too.

I'm personally not a huge fan of the lines around the coastlines (there are some in there that are just little too straight to look really organic), but overall the look is extremely solid.
    Ideed, there's clearly room for improvement with these coastlines, I think they deserve a rework.

So glad you've joined us, please share more! I can't rep you again so soon, but this would certainly deserve it.
    I'm grateful, thanks again.

If I may, you might consider posting these works to the Finished Maps section of the forum. The WIP section is of course fine too, if you are looking for feedback and are still going to work on the map further, but the maps you've posted so far look very finished and polished to me. Certainly Finished maps section worthy.
    I will certainly do once I've taken care of all the details mentioned earlier.
    Last edited by Marc Moureau; 01-22-2020 at 11:22 AM.
    My Website
    You can also find my work on :

Twitter . Instagram . Artstation . Behance

I really love your style and the colors that you use! Looking forward to seeing more from you!

Marc, this map is beautifully done and has the effect every map should...it makes me want to explore and discover the world. All the illustrations, border design, and color palette work really well together.

If I’m really going to nit pick, the only thing I’m not crazy about is the lettering of the main title. I find it a little difficult to read at a smaller scale. But take that wil a grain of salt.

Thanks for sharing your work and I look forward to seeing more!
    - Josh

Me, too. Your color palette, shading, and the way the labels blend in are all very well done.

Thanks everyone for your kind words, it means a lot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshStolarz
    If I’m really going to nit pick, the only thing I’m not crazy about is the lettering of the main title. I find it a little difficult to read at a smaller scale. But take that wil a grain of salt.
    And that's true, I'm afraid I rushed this part...

I already fixed some details and I think I shoud be able to post it as a finished map very soon. I would have liked to spend more time improving it further, but I'd rather use it on fresh new projects.
    Last edited by Marc Moureau; 01-28-2020 at 01:41 PM.
    My Website
    You can also find my work on :

Twitter . Instagram . Artstation . Behance