Thread: Zelkor's Ferry

Guild Member Guild Supporter

Map Zelkor's Ferry

Here is my rendition of Zelkor's Ferry, a small trading site near the megadungeon Rappan Athuk. I never liked the map that came with the book, so I decided to make my own.

I have been inspired heavily by Lerb the Mycologist, a mapper who posts on twitter @Lerb_Ash....I really like the sketch like style he uses. I stuck with grey scale as my last maps colors were all over the place. So back to basics...

This is a place where adventurer's come to lick their wounds after delving into a massive dungeon belonging to Orcus in search of treasure. It sits on the edge of a dangerous wilderness, and is far from civilization.

The learning continues. Anyway, here it is.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zelkor's Ferry.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	707.4 KB 
ID:	119978

Guild Member Guild Sponsor

Great map. Thanks for sharing. I like the simplicity of it. I also like the font you used for the legend. Very solid map.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Default Awesome.

Hi,

I like the style of your Zelkor's Ferry map. If you ever decide to add color, please post it or message me (Zach Glazar) at Frog God Games. I was on the team that did Rappan Athuk 5e and that was one of maps was colorized. I always liked it, but I like yours better.
    Due to the nature of the project, very little was started from scratch.

I rarely get to drop by these forums as much as I would like and am pleased I saw your post.

Zach Glazar
    Frog Games
    Necromancer Games

Quote Originally Posted by bbennett View Post
    Great map. Thanks for sharing. I like the simplicity of it. I also like the font you used for the legend. Very solid map.
    Thanks bbennett! Doing my best! -Sid

Quote Originally Posted by Nog View Post
    Hi,

I like the style of your Zelkor's Ferry map. If you ever decide to add color, please post it or message me (Zach Glazar) at Frog God Games. I was on the team that did Rappan Athuk 5e and that was one of maps was colorized. I always liked it, but I like yours better.
    Due to the nature of the project, very little was started from scratch.

I rarely get to drop by these forums as much as I would like and am pleased I saw your post.

Zach Glazar
    Frog Games
    Necromancer Games
    Hey Zach! What are the odds? I will let you know for sure if I put color to it. Still working my way through the coloring process but your post has spurred me to go a bit further and give it another try. -Sid

Very nice little map. I can certainly see the inspiration (I'm not able to check on Twitter right now, but I strongly suspect the mapper you're referring to goes by Larb on the Guild ), and I like the way you've refined the buildings. I think the water could still use a little work, maybe the addition of waves around the shores or something like that. It's looking a tad flat as it is. But other than that, a fine little map, nice work.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Very nice little map. I can certainly see the inspiration (I'm not able to check on Twitter right now, but I strongly suspect the mapper you're referring to goes by Larb on the Guild ), and I like the way you've refined the buildings. I think the water could still use a little work, maybe the addition of waves around the shores or something like that. It's looking a tad flat as it is. But other than that, a fine little map, nice work.
    Thanks Kellerica. I see what you mean by the water. Zelkor's Ferry is sort of on a peninsula along a river. I think maybe adding some rocks near the shoreand putting a little wake behind them to show the direction of the river would give the map a better feel. I agree its a tad flat in that respect.

By the way, your Slumbering Ocean map is one of my favorites from this site. Thanks again for your comments!
    -Sid

Wow, what are the odds... it's like internet fate happened up there. Cool map too, works well with the simple style for what it is. I would add shoals to the water myself, or little rocky protrusions close to the bank.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Simple and effective, very nice Sidmandoo.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEpic View Post
    Simple and effective, very nice Sidmandoo.
    Thanks for those kind words TheRedEpic. After lots of trials of doing bigger things, I've scaled back to keep things more straightforward. Glad you liked it!