Thread: Brush Lag in PS caused by Avira programs.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Default Brush Lag in PS caused by Avira programs.

Since a week I had a brush lag when using Photoshop. It happened first in PS CC 2019. Then I installed PS CC 2020. Same brush lag. Then I installed PS CC 2018, same problem, but I never had that issue in the past with that version.
    I had tried every suggestion I found to get rid of the brush lag, with no effect.

After checking other third party programs I've seen that my antivirus program (Avira) had updated secondary programs - Avira Phantom VPN and Avira System Speedup at the time when the problem started. I've uninstalled those and the brush lag is gone.

Good example for unusual interaction of software.

Most likely those software packages hooked the global message chain and were trying to examine every message going by (which is a very bad thing to do because it will increase latency in the overall system). They may have spent extra time on processing uncommon messages such as tablet ones, which are exactly the messages that need the least amount of lag added to them. I recommend taking the time to report this behavior to the manufacturer of the software because they may be unaware of the problem.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Most likely those software packages hooked the global message chain and were trying to examine every message going by (which is a very bad thing to do because it will increase latency in the overall system). They may have spent extra time on processing uncommon messages such as tablet ones, which are exactly the messages that need the least amount of lag added to them. I recommend taking the time to report this behavior to the manufacturer of the software because they may be unaware of the problem.
    I already informed the software company, they will look into the problem.

That's frustrating but glad it seems you figured out the issue. Always irritating when an anti-virus ends up causing lag or bogging down your computer...the opposite of what it's supposed to be doing

- Josh