Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you scan large hand drawn map?

Default How do you scan large hand drawn map?

Hi there, maybe not the right place to ask, and probably already answered before, but I try anyway..

Do you guys have tips to scan a large draw (A3 format and larger), as they can't fit in regular scan that I've got?

Thanks in advance.

Envoyé de mon YAL-L21 en utilisant Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Theres been many posts about this and also how to print large maps on a small printer.

The short answer is to try Hugin and also use a tripod on your camera and set the zoom up a bit from normal to limit distortion. I tried lots of ways but Hugin is the best I know of. It has been able to scan a mural in a shed where I could not get back far enough from it to get it into one single shot. Awesome bit of software.

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

Also, once you have set your zoom then take all the photos with the same setting else it doesn't work so well.

BTW, this mural photo was 12,000 pixels wide so it can cope with pretty high res scanning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mural1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	320.8 KB 
ID:	120170  
    Last edited by Redrobes; 02-02-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Guild Journeyer Impractical Cartographer's Avatar

There shouldn't be a problem with that. Most printing services points have large format scanners.
    Mostly B1/A1 format, but there are also larger. Just google it in your area

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Theres been many posts about this and also how to print large maps on a small printer.

The short answer is to try Hugin and also use a tripod on your camera and set the zoom up a bit from normal to limit distortion. I tried lots of ways but Hugin is the best I know of. It has been able to scan a mural in a shed where I could not get back far enough from it to get it into one single shot. Awesome bit of software.

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

Also, once you have set your zoom then take all the photos with the same setting else it doesn't work so well.

BTW, this mural photo was 12,000 pixels wide so it can cope with pretty high res scanning.
    Thanks! I'll try this soon.

If you can scan overlapping parts of the images with a smaller scanner, there's an assemble option in photoshop (automation if I remember well) that allows for building it back to a greater image. Also, most modern photocopy machines in copy shops can scan in color A3 at 600 dpi.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    If you can scan overlapping parts of the images with a smaller scanner, there's an assemble option in photoshop (automation if I remember well) that allows for building it back to a greater image. Also, most modern photocopy machines in copy shops can scan in color A3 at 600 dpi.
    There's a tool for this? What the heck! I always did it in pieces and then used overlay to get them positioned before switching them back to normal and merging all the shots down into one. And now I hear there's a tool for this? Outrageous!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Most of the reproduction shops I'm familiar with are using lighting rigs and medium format cameras to do large-scale reproduction work.

I'm spoiled I have Canon IPf760 36 inch printer, with a 36 inch roll-type, color scanner mounted on top. I use to run a graphic design/digital print studio, with this as one of my printers. I've closed the shop in 2015, but brought the printer/scanner home - yeah, I'm spoiled.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

Very cool !

If you have closed your shop then is your link in your signature still a valid one then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Very cool !

If you have closed your shop then is your link in your signature still a valid one then ?
    Nope, and I need to delete that sometime..

I'll be creating a new site this year, and will replace the old one when it's ready - it's going to be called MapsforGamers.com
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast