Thread: ***Februarty 2020 Challenge - Map an Exotic Settlement***

Default ***Februarty 2020 Challenge - Map an Exotic Settlement***

By "exotic" I don't mean simply non-western. We're talking floating cities, asteroid outposts, settlements built within the shell of a living sea snail or maybe even just civilizations with altogether alien architecture. The type of map can range anywhere from city maps, to tactical maps to structural maps. So long as the "exotic" nature of the design is clearly evident, it's all good. The size of the settlement is likewise up to you. Use your best judgement - e.g. a small single dwelling structure does not a settlement make.

The challenge shall be open until the evening of the 29th of the month whereupon all threads shall be closed for voting. The winner shall receive a Golden Compass and fame beyond human imagining.

In addition to the specifics of this Challenge please be sure to adhere to THE RULES:

1) Title your thread: February 2020 Challenge: <<your title would go here>>
    2) Use the ### Latest WIP ### tag before EVERY work-in-progress image you post, otherwise the image will not show up in the thumbnails.
    3) Only maps begun on or after today (February 4th) are eligible for the contest.

Good luck to each of you!

This challenge sounds amazing!!!! This is exactly the kind of map I want to make at the moment. Unfortunately, I'm snowed under with commissions and studies, but I'll enter if I can It'll probably end up being another in my collection of unfinished map threads

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Ooh this sounds fun. Probably have a few ideas for this...

Whoa, I just finished a text about a floating city made of giant trees. Maybe it's time to map it!

Does a city on a mountain that moves independently through the multiverse count as "exotic"? I think that's the most exotic thing I have that I've been wanting to map. Trying to think if there's anything weirder. Oh, how about a town that's entirely on the water made of boats surrounding a giant lighthouse anchored through unknown means?

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Looks like the perfect opportunity to experiment with fresh ideas.

I'm already having fun with the first sketches.
    Last edited by Marc Moureau; 02-09-2020 at 04:32 AM.
    My Website
    You can also find my work on :

Twitter . Instagram . Artstation . Behance

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Does a city on a mountain that moves independently through the multiverse count as "exotic"? I think that's the most exotic thing I have that I've been wanting to map. Trying to think if there's anything weirder. Oh, how about a town that's entirely on the water made of boats surrounding a giant lighthouse anchored through unknown means?
    Yes, I think both of those ideas would qualify. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Hello folks, just a friendly reminder that the challenge threads will be closing sometime late this evening (somewhere between 10pm-11pm PST). So if you have any last minute updates or revisions, now is the time to post them.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh