Thread: Hello, maps

Guild Applicant

Default Hello, maps

Hello, cartographers. I found my way here because I need new maps for a book that I'm rereleasing--historical fiction, not fantasy--and got curious about the process of making maps. Thanks for creating this lively, informative site. I'm here to learn and am looking forward to trying tutorials.

Good luck making your own maps. If you find the task daunting there are people here who will offer advice and people who will offer their service for commissions. Best of luck with your historical fiction.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Welcome to the Guild Suz! That's exciting that you're book is a historical fiction with a map. What period of history is it?

I look forward to seeing you around

- Josh

Guild Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Good luck making your own maps. If you find the task daunting there are people here who will offer advice and people who will offer their service for commissions. Best of luck with your historical fiction.
    Thanks, Tiana. I may follow up both of your suggestions. I am certainly more a lover of maps than a maker of maps!

Guild Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by JoshStolarz View Post
    Welcome to the Guild Suz! That's exciting that you're book is a historical fiction with a map. What period of history is it?

I look forward to seeing you around

- Josh
    Thanks for the welcome, Josh. Sorry to be so slow getting back to the forum--I am playing hookey from a deadline tomorrow but hope to spend more time on the site soon.

The book (Awen) is late eighth century, set mostly in Wales. The first edition came out in 1997, but this will be an ebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    Thanks, Tiana. I may follow up both of your suggestions. I am certainly more a lover of maps than a maker of maps!
    Loving maps is all you need to begin (otherwise it would be a chore I think), you are welcome to PM me if you want private feedback if you don't feel comfortable sharing it with everyone in its WIP stages or want to keep it focused on feedback from one person rather than a whole lot of potential ideas, or of course if you give up and need artwork. Anyway, sometimes people privately contact me with work in progress they want thoughts on or to ask about a technique and I don't mind at all sharing my secrets (which are not so secret).

Prioritize your deadline! Real life first, fun second. XD Forum will still be here.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Klaus van der Kroft's Avatar

Welcome to the guild!