Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: February 2020 Challenge: The Scarlet Canyons

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Map February 2020 Challenge: The Scarlet Canyons

Hello everyone!

Been a while since I partook in a challenge. This premise tickled my fancy, so here I am again with something quite out of the box for me, but it feels like it is going to be a fun challenge.

So, as it stands a bunch of settlers found a mysterious canyon with giant crystals stretching across its width and wanted to stay and discover its secrets. Thus the small town Scarlet Rock was founded. Though, alongside the incredible discoveries made in the early days including old ruins deeper into the canyon within the first year, several people went missing. This, as an obvious side effect, drew the attention of adventurers to investigate its many caves and ruins to find out why this place was claiming people for itself.

It would be fun to hear your thoughts on the idea.
    Cheers
    Omri

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scarlet_Canyons_1.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	763.0 KB 
ID:	120214

Here I started giving the crystals their first go over.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Scarlet_Canyons_2.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	120215

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Ahoi!

It is quite a story to highlight and burn the crystals until they start to look like well, crystals. But it is an interesting challenge and it is coming along apart from a few things I'm not entirely certain how to change.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Scarlet_Canyons_3.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	4.13 MB 
ID:	120233
    Last edited by XCali; 02-07-2020 at 06:05 AM.

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

Whoops!! Completely forgot to add the title tag. February 2020 Challenge: The Scarlet Canyons.

If a mod can please change it, I would greatly appreciate it.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Very nice shading on those scarlet crystals .
    And change is done .

The crystals look great. Just make a new layer and paint over anything you don't like.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Hi XCali, it's nice to see some new artwork from you.

At first I was just staring at it in confusion, not seeing the map, so I read the description again and realized this is just the canyon so far, and the settlement is not on the map yet. Those crystals are gigantic; it takes a while to realize just how much. Their scale will probably be much clearer when you add some buildings or whatnot.

You took exotic way further than I'd expect. Normally crystals of this size occur in the form of glaciers or icebergs, but though translucent, you would never see them in such colour. That makes me wonder: just what mineral is this? The red brings cinnabar to mind, which, since it contains mercury, is toxic, and has some unpleasant effects. You mentioned mysterious disappearances?

I hope you share some story along with the progress of this map.

Those crystals are coming along nicely. This should prove to be a great entry.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Very nice shading on those scarlet crystals .
    And change is done .
    Thanks a bunch!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    The crystals look great. Just make a new layer and paint over anything you don't like.
    Hehe, in the end I just scrapped an entire layer and started from the beginning. Tx for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    Hi XCali, it's nice to see some new artwork from you.

At first I was just staring at it in confusion, not seeing the map, so I read the description again and realized this is just the canyon so far, and the settlement is not on the map yet. Those crystals are gigantic; it takes a while to realize just how much. Their scale will probably be much clearer when you add some buildings or whatnot.

You took exotic way further than I'd expect. Normally crystals of this size occur in the form of glaciers or icebergs, but though translucent, you would never see them in such colour. That makes me wonder: just what mineral is this? The red brings cinnabar to mind, which, since it contains mercury, is toxic, and has some unpleasant effects. You mentioned mysterious disappearances?

I hope you share some story along with the progress of this map.
    Indeed they are! A map with big crystals is something I have been hoping to do for quite a while, so this challenge presented a perfect opportunity to just go for it.
    I did base the crystals of Pruskite, the ruby version. As far as I read, there is iron in it somewhere? Not too sure what gives its red color, but it is what I wanted to go for in this one.
    I do hope to expand the story! I'll see if I can do it justice.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Those crystals are coming along nicely. This should prove to be a great entry.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thank you Arsheesh! Appreciate it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyhoo,

Today, I wanted to have another go at the cliffs, they had been proving somewhat temperamental, but this version is better for me.
    And I finally added the settlement. Still a lot of shading and highlighting to do there, but the scale comes through now.

Hope you enjoy.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Scarlet_Canyons_4.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	4.16 MB 
ID:	120308
    Last edited by XCali; 02-10-2020 at 12:36 PM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Hi again. I didn't expect the settlement to be at the bottom of the canyon. Wow! This is not a place for the faint of heart.

The cliffs may seem temperamental because their texture is so different on top than on the bottom of the canyon where it resembles sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    Hi again. I didn't expect the settlement to be at the bottom of the canyon. Wow! This is not a place for the faint of heart.

The cliffs may seem temperamental because their texture is so different on top than on the bottom of the canyon where it resembles sand.
    Hehe, it does seem brave. Though, I think the water being closer is their reason.
    Also, I wanted the sand like texture for the bottom, the rock itself gets shaped by the wind erosion and it settled on the bottom as a finer grained sand.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast