Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: February 2020 Challenge: The Scarlet Canyons

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Heloa.

Here is the next installment. As I tweaked the map, I was wondering if I should add trees? What do you all think?
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scarlet_Canyons_5.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	4.47 MB 
ID:	120353

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Hi again.

I wouldn't put trees here, as it looks like shrubs and grasses would be doing better in such rocky, low amount of sunlight conditions. The vegetation would probably be most dense near the river.

Now that I look at the river, it actually seems strange that it ends in a rock. It feels like it should be going through the settlement instead. If you look at your earlier images, you can imagine the water flowing lazily near the center of the canyon, and then the settlement being built on the banks afterwards. Did you draw them in the opposite order?

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    Hi again.

I wouldn't put trees here, as it looks like shrubs and grasses would be doing better in such rocky, low amount of sunlight conditions. The vegetation would probably be most dense near the river.

Now that I look at the river, it actually seems strange that it ends in a rock. It feels like it should be going through the settlement instead. If you look at your earlier images, you can imagine the water flowing lazily near the center of the canyon, and then the settlement being built on the banks afterwards. Did you draw them in the opposite order?
    Hey, I think the shrubs idea to be good. Will see if I get to adding those.

About the river, I drew it first and then started added it the settlement. I kind of feel if the river went through the middle it would suggest that the canyon saw big water somewhere and thus how it came to be, but I didn't want that for this one. It is a tear in the crust that revealed this canyon a underground river just maybe got exposed in the process. Hope that explains a bit better. (The tear just makes it more plausible that they decided to go live down there instead of water having shaped the place)

================================================== ================================================== ================================

Anyhoo,
    Here is my next phase, adding the title and a few banners as a start, also did some shading.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Scarlet_Canyons_Banners_1.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	4.44 MB 
ID:	120478

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    Hi again.

Ditto that, that's where I'd put any vegetation too, unless they're weird alien trees that emit light. It just isn't the conditions for trees to grow with ease. It feels warm and arid when I look at the map.

I'd put like, some moss and mushrooms and maybe some fungus. Hm, I'm sensing a theme. Maybe some mould. What trees tend to do for a map is add visual interest, which can be achieved with things other than trees. You might have fallen rocks, even artistically arranged, a rock maze perhaps. If people are surrounded by stones, they're going to arrange them. Also as this is a tight space, these settlers must be doing something with their trash and their dead, so you might see a charred area or a refuse pile in a corner from where they deal with their input/output. They're getting food from somewhere, so perhaps they have hanging gardens fed by water pumped from the river or a pen of animals that extends out to the grassy shrubby area by the river where their goats can feed.

These are ways you could get some of the visual clutter lent by trees without using foliage.

Shrubs, in the lighter areas, I can see there being a few clusters, around the river where the light is most likely to hit, their roots stretching out into the water through the stony ground, and grass is stubborn, I'm sure there'd be a few chunks of it for a select amount of livestock to graze, or chickens to root around for insects.

There might be a few rocks sticking out of the river, that would also give some of the visual stop that a tree does.

I am into the lighting. It's great. Such a mood to it.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Ditto that, that's where I'd put any vegetation too, unless they're weird alien trees that emit light. It just isn't the conditions for trees to grow with ease. It feels warm and arid when I look at the map.

I'd put like, some moss and mushrooms and maybe some fungus. Hm, I'm sensing a theme. Maybe some mould. What trees tend to do for a map is add visual interest, which can be achieved with things other than trees. You might have fallen rocks, even artistically arranged, a rock maze perhaps. If people are surrounded by stones, they're going to arrange them. Also as this is a tight space, these settlers must be doing something with their trash and their dead, so you might see a charred area or a refuse pile in a corner from where they deal with their input/output. They're getting food from somewhere, so perhaps they have hanging gardens fed by water pumped from the river or a pen of animals that extends out to the grassy shrubby area by the river where their goats can feed.

These are ways you could get some of the visual clutter lent by trees without using foliage.

Shrubs, in the lighter areas, I can see there being a few clusters, around the river where the light is most likely to hit, their roots stretching out into the water through the stony ground, and grass is stubborn, I'm sure there'd be a few chunks of it for a select amount of livestock to graze, or chickens to root around for insects.

There might be a few rocks sticking out of the river, that would also give some of the visual stop that a tree does.

I am into the lighting. It's great. Such a mood to it.
    Thank you!

And thanks for the ideas. I want to really flesh the map out if I get the time. But for now, i did some things

================================================== =================================

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Scarlet_Canyons_Banners_2.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	4.45 MB 
ID:	120513

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

I absolutely love the crystals you've drawn on this. Great looking map

Quote Originally Posted by PaperGriffin View Post
    I absolutely love the crystals you've drawn on this. Great looking map
    Thanks a bunch Crystals have been something I wanted to figure out somewhere, so this was a great opportunity to see how they turn out.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Hello! Howz it going?

Anyway, I'm about at the polishing phase of the map. A tweak here and there and a few additions like the rock and the livestock pen.
    Is there anything you want to see me tweak or add before I call it done?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Scarlet_Canyons_Polish_1.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	4.55 MB 
ID:	120550

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Hi there. Would you be willing to tweak the shadow layer? The walls of the canyon are pretty dark, but the bottom is not, as if the light didn't follow the rules of physics in there. The sharp shadows on that surface don't match the soft shadows created by diffused light on the canyon walls. Also the contrast between light and dark makes the settlement less readable. It's an interesting effect, but it seems to make the illustration a bit too busy.

I like how you're always taking requests, as if performing on stage. And your maps are so unique.

I like the tweaks to the labels and the addition of small amounts of foliage quite a bit!

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast