Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand Drawn Map of Scandinavia

Map Hand Drawn Map of Scandinavia

So, this one took far longer than I had planned on. Part of it (read : the entirety of it) is my fault. Before I ramble about that though,

The map :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSX_20200206_235444.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	4.03 MB 
ID:	120223

The smaller map of Iceland :

Name:	PSX_20200206_235758.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	120224

And finally, the part that I'm fairly happy with, although I can already see ways to improve :

Name:	PSX_20200206_235617.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	4.01 MB 
ID:	120225

Now, obviously, the part which took the longest, was the stippling, there's no two ways around that. That, and the border, but as always, I'm not particularly happy about the border. I think next time around, I won't do the solid black border. Perhaps something with a bit more hatching? I dunno. I'm open to suggestions though. Well, in any case, that's this one done and dusted. Onto the next, and hopefully I won't take as long on the next one. Maybe I should start a WIP thread for the next, if only to pressure myself into finishing it. As always, Criticisms are welcome.

Guild Apprentice

That is fantastic, I love it

Beautiful work! I love how you shade these maps, you manage to create a fairly dark and moody look and that's not something you often see in grayscale maps. Great stuff - as a northerner, I approve
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

This is a fantastic map, UGE! The extra effort you clearly put into it, paid off nicely. Also, I'm glad you included Aalborg: I think I recognise my house

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Really nice map! I like the moodiness, as Kellerica mentioned above. My only question is, where is Tromsö??? I would have thought it to be large enough to get mentioned on the map. Still really nice and it is clear a lot of work went into it!

Guild Journeyer Impractical Cartographer's Avatar

It's breathtaking. Inspiring. I love hand-drawn maps and yours is really beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by jwc821 View Post
    That is fantastic, I love it
    Thank you, I appreciate the kind words

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Beautiful work! I love how you shade these maps, you manage to create a fairly dark and moody look and that's not something you often see in grayscale maps. Great stuff - as a northerner, I approve
    Thanks, that means a lot. And yeah, I've told myself that the hours spent stippling is, in some way meaningful, and I'm not just some masochist. That's an interesting observation on the dark and moody look, I've never thought of it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    This is a fantastic map, UGE! The extra effort you clearly put into it, paid off nicely. Also, I'm glad you included Aalborg: I think I recognise my house

Wingshaw
    Thank you. I did want to put in more geological details in Denmark, but I really didn't want to clutter it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Really nice map! I like the moodiness, as Kellerica mentioned above. My only question is, where is Tromsö??? I would have thought it to be large enough to get mentioned on the map. Still really nice and it is clear a lot of work went into it!
    Thanks, that means a lot. Yes, in hindsight, I could've put in far more details than I did. It kinda feels empty, especially in the east. Ah well, stuff to think about for the next one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast