Thread: January/February 2020 Lite Challenge Entry: Unazan Gazar

Guild Apprentice

Default January/February 2020 Lite Challenge Entry: Unazan Gazar

This is a late entry and not in competition as it doesn't fit in the size requirements, but I had in my to do list a map that fit well with the thematic guidelines so I'm posting it to see if I can finish within the deadline.
    ### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unazangazar.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	409.9 KB 
ID:	120232

Unazan Gazar is a settlement in my homebrew campaign that was theatre of one of the most important battles in recent history. Built around the ruins of an ancient stronghold, was occupied during the Orchish war by the Orcs army and become the headquarter and treasury of their general. Its reconquest marked the end of the war and caused the scattering of the occupying army.
    The map shows the stronghold during the orchish occupation, during which the ancient catacombs were used as prison and secret treasury.

This is what I could do yesterday night, I am currently trying to decide on a fontset for the title and I'm not sure if putting a legend or the description of the location in the map.

Simo

Welcome to the Challenge krostatina! Looks like you are off to a good start. Don't worry about the size, you are close enough.

Guild Apprentice

Thank you for the opportunity and the nice words. I am mostly just lurking in the forum and trying to steal some tricks from you guys, but I had a discussion with my child about showing off and be proud of her artistic attempt even if her skills don't match her taste and perfectionism yet. And I thought "Well I am one to speak!" so I had a look to this month's challenge and it was coincidentally something that was going about my mind for a bit so I jumped in. Even at this stage there are a lot of things I am not satisfied with, but now that it's out in the wild I want to carry on and see how it turns out once finished.

Guild Apprentice

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	unazangazar2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	496.9 KB 
ID:	120247

I finally decided on a lettering and almost finished the maps, now I have to work on the front view that I'm dreading because I never inked a sketch (I actually never draw a sketch before) and I'm dreading that it will ruin all the work, but I don't think it will do leaving it in pencil. And then... do I try to colour it in Gimp? Will I have the time? My personal preference would be to leave it in B/W because it seems to me that if not done very very well the colouring looks a bit fake in maps... but I might try just for practice. It's easily undone after all.

Aw, don't panic over the inking, it almost always looks better once it's done unless you were using a brush and you make a large blotch. T_T If you don't like it you can always glue some paper over top and cover it with a new front view. or artistically rip and burn the edge of the map. >_> And of course you could try coloring in Gimp for practice, that's the only way to learn to make it look good, and it won't hurt your original.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

I used to stress about inking my maps all the time because I'd often make horrible errors. It takes a bit of practice but you can repair most of them prior to scanning with whiteout. ok it doesn't take that much practice. Most of the time I'll fix any line errors once I'm in photoshop so it's not nearly as stressful as before.

So, I say go for it!

Yes, definitely ink the drawing so that it looks consistent with the rest of the map (which looks great btw). I wouldn't worry about color for this, the inked style you are going for looks great in B&W.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Apprentice

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Scan_20200210_074020.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	563.7 KB 
ID:	120286
    I didn't have much time during the weekend but managed to ink the sketch after a few warm up on a copy. Today with a little more natural light than what Ciara was allowing yesterday it seems to me that it will do with a little more shadowing, but it will have to wait until tomorrow, long shift today.
    Overall I am pleased and I think it's good for the original intended purpose, anything else on top of this that I can manage within the deadline will be for the challenge and for learning purposes

Looking very cool, Two ideas for you to consider. Put this drawing on a parchment background to give it some texture. and a border would give it a more finished look.

Guild Apprentice

Thank you for the ideas . I was already thinking about the border (actually after I started inking I tought I should have left more space to draw one in myself, but adding one digitally will do for now). For lack of time I started tweaking a little with a border and parchment background I downloaded, still not happy with the balancement of the whole but I will get there. It looks like I completely forgot the little I knew about GIMP and have to start from scratch but it's all fun and relax after a stressful day at work.