Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: February 2020 Challenge: Translated Fragment from the Book of Eibon

Wip February 2020 Challenge: Translated Fragment from the Book of Eibon

A settlement with unearthly architechture? Sounds as good an excuse as any to do something Lovecraftian

Made a start on it the other day. Still need to add all the rambled text, shuffle things around and maybe add a few more illustrations and annotations:
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EibonFragment.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	9.24 MB 
ID:	120237

Ok, added a little lore. Not really sure what else to add - this was always going to be a small map before I get back to other projects. I might revisit it in a week or so though.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	96 
Size:	9.41 MB 
ID:	120257

It's looking definitely lovecraftian . Excellent idea and fine work!

Ooh, fun idea. Oddly I haven't run across that many Lovecraftian inspired maps. This one looks great, though. I'm having trouble reading the text. Is this city modeled after a specific location, such as R'lyeh or Carcosa, or is it just inspired by Lovecraft's lore? If the former, adding some cyclopean architecture might not be remiss.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Ooh, fun idea. Oddly I haven't run across that many Lovecraftian inspired maps. This one looks great, though. I'm having trouble reading the text. Is this city modeled after a specific location, such as R'lyeh or Carcosa, or is it just inspired by Lovecraft's lore? If the former, adding some cyclopean architecture might not be remiss.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    You won't see it in this challenge, but I'm going to be doing a Lovecraftian city this Feb, it's on the queue. It will be very different from this map though.

If you feel adventurous, Ifrix, I'd hand letter every single 'I' in the lore. >_> Otherwise I think it's exactly what you were aiming for, a journal page with a scribbled map and monsters. Maybe some small notes on how the euclidean geometry your map is displaying from the POV of the writer. I imagine some rambling review of a point of interest like, "It goes down here and makes me sick to take the turn, for above my head is a sky riddled with houses for but three steps." I think it's neat anyway, Lovecraftian maps are a rare sight.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

It's really neat! All I know of Lovecraft is what I've heard about, but this map definitely hits the spot. The book is a very nice touch!

Such an authentic feeling here ! It reminds me some concept art I saw for Wow or Diablo.

Thanks for all the comments
    It's not based on anything in particular Arsheesh - just something typically non-euclidean.
    Last minute few touch ups. I changed the "I"s and fixed a few lines of text. I did like the line suggestion Tiana but didn't really want to make the text too small as there isn't much room left.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	70 
Size:	9.45 MB 
ID:	120655

I appreciate the text is hard to read in the handwriting font so copied it down below:
    I had stepped beyond once more and found myself entombed within a labyrinth. A network of fractalling, geodic caverns stretched and spiralled before me in every all direction. As I floated there, I took note of squat structures and inferred them to be districts of some great city, maculating the crystalline protuberances that reached out across the void like great scabrous tendrils. Punctuating this void, arcs of crystalline lightning leapt from cyclopean spires in frenzied, dissonant chorus.

I drifted myself down until I was within its streets. The avenues were aligned in uniform regularity and I found it curious that no building was of a height greater than its neighbour. These strange squat buildings showed no sign of door or entry but of an occasion I came upon such lacerated orifices in the black stone that would allow only a creature of dimensions alien to my own to pass. Though it would be a mistake to label the black material as stone – it had more akin to a strange opaque crystal, but one that spoke and brought upon visions of iridescence from with its depths.

There were denizens here but I had not the nerve, nor the want, to ascertain of what intelligence or intent they possessed. I had seen them as I had descended into that place and during my shadowed stalk had glimpsed the inference of shape that they bore. They were as like to shards and shapes of crystal but of an angle a tendril would shimmer forth and reach out in strange, tidal rhythm

Really like the feel of this, and the newer version with the new I is more realistic, great job! more of this please!

Pretty cool concept. And I like the chosen typography. The font might not be easy to read, but in such a case it makes it even more interesting and ominous. Makes me want to look for a riddle therein and solve it.

What is the font you've used there? Or did you create your own?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast