Thread: February 2020 Challenge: The City of Tjeerd-Corliss

Default February 2020 Challenge: The City of Tjeerd-Corliss

Probably won't do much nor finish it, but... maybe I could do something quickly, or force me to.

Seeing the challenge, I thought about those strange Black Smoker or White Smoker you can find near the ocean rifts. So, what about a gigantic terrestrial version?

It's just a very early concept sketch. I don't really like the buildings and I think I will opt for sort of a twin city or two cities melted in one.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	black smoker city.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	318.6 KB 
ID:	120260

Hope to see this developed more Ilanthar, this looks promising.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Interesting, I actually like the buildings but something seems weird about the rock shape. Maybe it'll come together in your mind once you start adding details, but as they stand they're decent lil city concepts. You're probably just blinded by how you felt while drawing them and can't perceive their charm. Happens to us all. Two distinct cities melting together into one sounds cool for a concept and I like the protection platform concept, a fun place for a boss battle.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

By Arsheesh
    Hope to see this developed more Ilanthar, this looks promising.
    Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks! For now, it's more to relax 5-10 minutes here and there... And I'm more thinking about than actually drawing it .

By Tiana
    Interesting, I actually like the buildings but something seems weird about the rock shape. Maybe it'll come together in your mind once you start adding details, but as they stand they're decent lil city concepts. You're probably just blinded by how you felt while drawing them and can't perceive their charm. Happens to us all. Two distinct cities melting together into one sounds cool for a concept and I like the protection platform concept, a fun place for a boss battle.
    Thanks a lot!
    Yay, I don't know. I tend to change of direction quickly when I'm starting something. I decided that the "smoker" was mostly inactive and then discarded the platform, sorry. Maybe I'll add one elsewhere though.

I thought I could use the remnant of those strange "giant tube worms" as the base for buildings (once the worm inside is dead) of the lower city. So, a new start.
    The city inside the smoker proper will be different. Maybe I'll do a cutaway view of this part.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	40 
Size:	361.7 KB 
ID:	120330

The giant tube worms :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:R...pagos_2011.jpg
    Oh, I forgot to add : Pr Van Tjeerd and Pr Corliss are the scientists who discovered those "smokers" .

A bit more done on the lower city & some shading tests.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	107 
Size:	383.9 KB 
ID:	120362

Interesting, that IS a total change of direction. Well, it's your map, make it however you want. Now the towers remind me of mushrooms.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

I like the tall towers. Looking forward to seeing this one develop.