Thread: Saramant, Sarpaedon, Praja Fantasy Commission

Guild Novice

Map Saramant, Sarpaedon, Praja Fantasy Commission

This is my first post on the finished maps forum so hopefully it's ok! I made these maps for a commission of a fantasy novel, two zoomed regions and a world map were requested. I use Procreate on iPadpro for all my maps, which seems to work really well for this type of thing. Nothing too complicated, I'd say the most difficult part was trying to get everything in the three maps to line up (as accurately as possible for me). Hopefully I'll figure out a more efficient or better method for future. Enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0927.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	120335

Name:	IMG_0928.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	120336

Name:	IMG_0929.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	120337

Quote Originally Posted by WiseGirl View Post
    I'd say the most difficult part was trying to get everything in the three maps to line up (as accurately as possible for me). Hopefully I'll figure out a more efficient or better method for future.

Draw a big sketch, and then line up based on the big sketch over the littler map insets for the book size. I would say, I can tell you eyeballed it but the map art itself turned out decent, the mountains are high quality and the trees are nice too. My thoughts: Rivers don't usually split unless it's a delta or some other anomaly as over time the lower option will win. So your feature river is a bit odd to me.

They're finished maps, of course it's fine for you to post in Finished Maps. Generally people seem to post in the other sections if they want feedback and here if it's done and finalized.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Yeah I second Tiana on the river remark (and my self-diagnosed—so obviously real—OCD is strong on that front!) but apart from that, these maps are pretty awesome! Great job!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Novice

Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely keep that in mind for future! This was my first go at a commission like this, so inherently I had some trouble with getting everything matched up. I also ended up having to completely reshape the landmasses after the maps were already in a semi-finished state. That may have had something to do with it. Thanks again!

Nice style, pretty consistent with the LizardInk co. vibe. Good job

Don't stress, you learn a LOT about workflow with each map you make. It's a skill that isn't as fluid as just drawing, and even if you're an amazing artist, everyone's first map is gonna have some kind of newbie quirk to it. My first map was awfullllllll compared to these, these are fine to drop in a novel for a self published book for example, they'll work just fine for the purpose even if the river's quirky. Just keep it in mind for your next one, that's all! Which you'll surely end up making, haha, it's addictive.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!