Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stonehill Keep (Jan/Feb '20 Lite Challenge map)

Default Stonehill Keep (Jan/Feb '20 Lite Challenge map)

This is my UNofficial entry for Jan/Feb '20 Lite Challenge.
    Already have golden compass so I could not compete, but still had a great joy making this one.

You can see couple wips and progress here.

i hope you enjoy it, cheers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stonehill_Keep_CG.jpg 
Views:	1385 
Size:	4.77 MB 
ID:	120328
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

It's been a pleasure to follow the progress of this one, and the final result is excellent.

I like what you did with the lights.

There's an interesting contrast between the pit and the living crystals, they really stand out from the rest of the dungeon.
    My Website
    You can also find my work on :

Twitter . Instagram . Artstation . Behance

This is a very nice map, Dan. You've got a real knack for these underground dungeons. Especially the torchlight. And the entrance door and title block are great additions.

I've got one suggestion for what might bump it up to an even higher level of quality: have you considered adding more furniture in the dungeon? Eg make the kitchen look like a kitchen rather than just an empty room? I know that part of the appeal of this map is that it isn't cluttered, but I think it could really help with some specific rooms (kitchen, forge, kitchen storage, mine storage).

Anyway, just my two cents

Wingshaw

[EDIT: that's embarrassing: Voolf, I got you mixed up with DanHasenbos. Very sorry ]
    Last edited by Wingshaw; 02-12-2020 at 04:02 PM.

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Klaus van der Kroft's Avatar

Now THIS is podracing.

Wonderfully done, Voolf. It makes me want to run a D&D adventure there.

I particularly enjoy both the way the stone feels like it has weigh and volume, and how you can tell the rooms are drawn all by hand, giving it a great natural feeling.

Great work, Voof! Your dungeon maps are impressive and you're clearly a master of lights & shadows in those dark corridors.

Amazing work Voolf, I love the frame with the door in the corner very well executed! I wish I could rep but I'm out at the moment. I'm sure you will create something else amazing for me to rep soon!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

What a mastery of light!! It's splendid ! A very full map, with these dark hues and a lot of details! A beautiful winning combination. I also really like the way you've drawn the relief and the river! And especially this beautiful border... It reminded me of Moria...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Moureau View Post
    It's been a pleasure to follow the progress of this one, and the final result is excellent.

I like what you did with the lights.

There's an interesting contrast between the pit and the living crystals, they really stand out from the rest of the dungeon.
    Thank you so much Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    This is a very nice map, Dan. You've got a real knack for these underground dungeons. Especially the torchlight. And the entrance door and title block are great additions.

I've got one suggestion for what might bump it up to an even higher level of quality: have you considered adding more furniture in the dungeon? Eg make the kitchen look like a kitchen rather than just an empty room? I know that part of the appeal of this map is that it isn't cluttered, but I think it could really help with some specific rooms (kitchen, forge, kitchen storage, mine storage).

Anyway, just my two cents

Wingshaw

[EDIT: that's embarrassing: Voolf, I got you mixed up with DanHasenbos. Very sorry ]
    Thanks a lot.
    Adding more furniture was the initial plan for this one, but i had to make some sacrifices, because of the time unfortunately. I did the library and chapel and then moved to shading and colouring because knowing me i would probably spend way more time than i had on those. Also more furniture would add another hours for the shading and colouring. Good point though, Thanks
    I will probably pass on furnitures unless it's smaller map with less rooms like my Jehyns Hideout.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus van der Kroft View Post
    Now THIS is podracing.

Wonderfully done, Voolf. It makes me want to run a D&D adventure there.

I particularly enjoy both the way the stone feels like it has weigh and volume, and how you can tell the rooms are drawn all by hand, giving it a great natural feeling.
    Thank you veru much Klaus.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Nice work Voolf
    Thanks John. I am glad you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Great work, Voof! Your dungeon maps are impressive and you're clearly a master of lights & shadows in those dark corridors.
    Thank you Julien.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    Amazing work Voolf, I love the frame with the door in the corner very well executed! I wish I could rep but I'm out at the moment. I'm sure you will create something else amazing for me to rep soon!
    No worries, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    What a mastery of light!! It's splendid ! A very full map, with these dark hues and a lot of details! A beautiful winning combination. I also really like the way you've drawn the relief and the river! And especially this beautiful border... It reminded me of Moria...
    Thanks JO!
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Guild Member Guild Sponsor

This kind of map writes its own story! What a wonderful map!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast