Thread: Ardane - A World Map for My D&D Campaign

Map Ardane - A World Map for My D&D Campaign

Here is the map I've made for my homebrew D&D campaign. Plain paper and pencil. I've been DMing in this world for a few years now, but just discovered this forum. C&C appreciated. I know my lettering could use some work; handwriting is not my strong suit.
    Please pardon the scan quality.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map of Ardane (big).jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	120334

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

It looks like a great map! Handwriting is always my problem (or one there of) as well! One thing that could possibly improve it is lightening the forest intensity. They are very dark in comparison with the rest of the map and really stand out. Really good all the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    One thing that could possibly improve it is lightening the forest intensity. They are very dark in comparison with the rest of the map and really stand out.
    That's a good point, thanks. Do you think the solution is to make the trees more sparse, or just to try making the lines lighter/thinner?

Making the lines thinner might make them less dark. I think the real contrast though is in detail level with the styles you are using. The forests are drawn in a tree-for-tree style, or incredibly detailed. The mountains and the rest of the map are in minimal detail styles in a sense, with little texture. This then results in the trees standing out more because more pencil/ink has been applied there. It just seems to be a slight conflict of styles in a sense.
    However, this can be used to great effect because it does draw the eye straight in to the forest. I think primarily it comes down to what effect you are going for and which styles look the best to you. There are a few b/w artists on the guild here who I have seen use a very dense forest spread really well (ex. Impractical Cartographer, although they detail the rest of their maps more than here) even though it is not a style I tend to gravitate to.

All in all though, it all comes down to what you enjoy drawing and what looks great to you. I really like the layout of your map and how everything flows together and style comments come more down to personal taste than anything else (so please do not take any of this too seriously!).

Thank you very much for your response!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    I think the real contrast though is in detail level with the styles you are using. The forests are drawn in a tree-for-tree style, or incredibly detailed. The mountains and the rest of the map are in minimal detail styles in a sense, with little texture.
    Can you point me to any examples of less detailed forests? I'm certainly interested in exploring different options, whether I stick with them or not.

Sorry for taking so long! Just noticed the reply.

I would probably point you in the direction of ThomasR's work. He depicts forests really well without lots of ink. Max is also an amazing cartographer who has inspired me countless times in his black and white map styles.
    Both of them use different styles that are clear and concise and great for different uses. ThomasR's is particularly good if you are adding color above the forests but it is still a style that works well in black and white. Probably the best way to see new styles and all though is simply to follow the finished maps thread here. Sooner or later (with the crew here, sooner is more likely!) you will come across a cartographer who uses a 'perfect' forest, mountains, etc technique that can inspire you.

These are some excellent suggestions. Drawing a border for forests with less going on in the middle is very clever. Wouldn't have thought of that myself!
    Thank you so much for your thoughtful responses!