Thread: Hello Everyone!

Post Hello Everyone!

Hi, All!
    I have been encouraged to join the Guild for quite a while now and have always felt a bit intimidated by the idea of it for some reason. However, apparently this morning I am feeling brave, so here I am.
    I started drawing maps a little over a year ago when I found I needed something to help me keep track of the geography, ecology, and politics of a story I am working on. I posted it to a crafting group on Facebook and it kind of blew up. I started focusing more of my attention on it after that and it's brought me a lot of joy. If you'd like to see my work the best place to look is my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/monocled.octopus/. I look forward to being here and learning as much as I can. Thank you for having me!

Intimidated by us? Please don't be! We're as friendly and easy to approach as can be I'm glad you were feeling brave, and seems like you'll be superb addition to the Guild - I took a quick look around your Insta, and your works seem gorgeous!

Welcome aboard! Need help with anything, let me know.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Intimidated by us? Please don't be! We're as friendly and easy to approach as can be
    That's easy for you to say, you're part of the main group and have been an active member of the forum for more than just a handful of years now. It's not necessarily easy for someone to quickly internalize it though. Artists are often meek souls. Some of the members of the guild are friendly and approachable; you are one such person obviously. Some of the others on first blush seem like intimidating experts with Opinions. And for any introvert, rapport is needed to realize the difference between a helpful kind person and a mean grouchy critic. Anyone who knows me in person knows I'm a gentle old soul with a heart of gold, but I know I terrify some newbies on forums... I seem like an intense critic with a lot to say and I know this because at least one of those people later on opened up to me and we developed a friendship. There's other kind people on here who seem VERY intense at first... it's only once you get to know them you understand it's just them being them.

I still post almost none of my art here due to the feeling of intimidation and it has never really gotten better... and I've been a professional since 2013... some artists just feel that constant nagging sense that they don't belong and that's okay.

So, Shea, I get it. Lurk as much as you want, learn from the great artists of the guild, and share your art if and once you feel safe and ready to put it out here. I do find the guild members superior in every way to a Facebook group, though, so you'll get more rounded opinions on your artwork from the members here than you would if all you do is solicit likes and upvotes. I must be honest, this is the only forum I've stayed a member of actively for this many years. I've passed the decade mark. It provides a hub for a niche craft, and while I have met trolls on social media, I never have here, everyone here seems well intentioned and passionate about the craft. It is a relatively safe space as forums go, and I'm extremely shy and skittish so I consider my opinion to be quite valid. Last year I joined a few forums but I only maintain participation on a couple on a very niche topic, and there was one I really wanted to work out and it turned out the moderators were nightmare humans so I left after about two months of membership, after I'd only just gotten brave enough to join an RPG group too... damn sad, that was, but I knew I would never get along with the staff there who I hope realize the toxicity they're fostering in the name of "This Must Be The Safest Space". The Guild has some of the more passive gentle moderation staff you will meet online, and the only toes you're likely to step on here are the River Police. The worst thing that will happen to you here is someone will leave a long critique on your map or they will ignore you because you're not part of the clique. As forums go, that's high praise. People don't really get into arguments here about religion, politics... maybe fonts... maybe we differ on workflow and will argue programs or the specific order in which to add elements... but it's never anything hurtful or outside of the boundaries of the shared passion we all have for worldbuilding.

Anyway, Shea, my point is, ultimately we can reassure you all we want but only one thing will make you feel safe. That's posting some art and discovering for yourself that we speak true. As far as forums go, the Guild is a five star forum with five star moderators who all share a mutual love of drawing tiny worlds. That harmonious link between us all seems to result in every other prejudice being set aside here, because we're just here to gush about some lil mountains. I have no patience for a bad forum with bad staff. This place is a great forum with great staff. I do not say that lightly, as I was a moderator and an admin for... well, for over ten years on other sites for other things. I have high standards for the sites I invest any time in, and this is a good one, I promise. If you love maps this IS the site to be! No better one on the internet! People map elsewhere but the passionate and professionals do pop up here with inspirational works and advice.

Some people might seem scary but they're just passionate and they read a lot so they can also type a lot without realizing it's frightening to the younger generation who is mostly exposed to social media interactions... we started out with letter-writing and so we have more to say sometimes. Remember a lot of fantasy mappers LOVE to read and write! We can come off stronger than we mean to, because our perception of language is a little warped by all the time we spend with words... but everyone here shares a love for a cute lil mountain, so whenever you're ready, post your favorite map or a work in progress and see what kind of comments you receive! I know I can't make you not be scared, but this isn't a site to be too scared of if you draw maps. Now Instagram, eesh, there's a scary place. Not for me! LOL! I have one but I rarely use it, it's just TOO MUCH!
    Last edited by Tiana; 02-14-2020 at 03:38 AM.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Oh, you shouldn't be intimidated at all Shea. I am a fan of your work and your marvelous and mesmerizing forests and mountain shading. Welcome around those parts

Oh, Shea ! Such a pleasure to see you here ! Welcome aboard and don't worry : you'll find your way here without any doubt ! ^^

Great to have you here Shea! I'm a big fan of your instagram work, so I can't wait to see what you do here

Guild Applicant

Welcome from another newcomer, Shea. Your work is beautiful.

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Klaus van der Kroft's Avatar

Merry greetings and welcome to the Guild, Shea! The sketches on your Instagram look absolutely spectacular. I'd say the Guild just became a little bit better with you in it!

There is nothing to fear within these halls -except for the monster that lives in the outhouse and likes to rearrange our rivers when we are asleep so that they discharge on multiple different coastlines.

We all fear that guy.

Wow! You've got some excellent art on your Instagram! I look forward to seeing any contributions you make here as well.

From one newcomer to another: welcome!