Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naatietl' Itza, where the Fire dreams

Default Naatietl' Itza, where the Fire dreams

Hey folks,

Here's my entry for the Nov-Dec 2019 challenge. All hand drawn and colored traditionally with watercolor. I still have to learn but I'm getting there.

It is part of my Guildworld map (still unfinished and I AM ashamed of myself). The title should have been Naaitetl (naai = dream and tetl = fire in two different ancient South American languages but I forgot which ones) but I misspelled it ...

Anyways, here it is, it was quick and fun, just what I needed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Challenge post.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	119569

I hope you like it, any comment and critic are welcome

Nice work!

I like the parchment look.

You're already a master in watercolors and old parchment to me, you know that !
    It's excellent, and this last picture is even better than the previous.

The title should have been Naaitetl (naai = dream and tetl = fire in two different ancient South American languages but I forgot which ones) but I misspelled it ...
    Some nahuatl for tht tetl, probably. Don't know for the first part, maybe quechua.
    And don't be ashamed, I'm just so often telling myself that I have my city district to finish...

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

It's very interesting how the complete change of technique changes your style... while remaining completely recognizable. It's great work, anyway! I wouldn't be able to do it (as soon as I draw with a pencil or a pen, I look for the Ctrl+Z key, or I try to enlarge the sheet of paper with my fingers...) With watercolor, you're embarking on a great adventure and I wish you success!

I love it, Thomas - It's got all your hallmarks, but the naturally roughly applied watercolors adds something new and different. As careful as we all like to be, sometimes I really like a good sketchy map!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    The title should have been Naaitetl (naai = dream and tetl = fire in two different ancient South American languages but I forgot which ones) but I misspelled it ...
    Can you really misspell a word that's being arbitrarily transliterated from two different languages (where you'd have two different standards of transliteration, at best)?

great work, it makes me keen to try watercolor too, but i have too much to do lately and no time to dive into a map right now sadly
    I love the way the tones of the paper (or is it a leather map ? or like a textile one ? ) makes it really believable and of course the hand drawn side of it makes it even more full of life
    thanks for sharing

Guild Apprentice

This is the kind of wonderful map that makes me very happy to have joined the guild. Not only is it stunning and believable (the parchment look, the way the map looks to be worn out) but it gives the cartographer new ideas on how to realise some works !
    Great and motivating !

Really nice work Thomas, especially for being a quicker piece.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    Nice work!

I like the parchment look.
    Thanks Vincent

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    You're already a master in watercolors and old parchment to me, you know that !
    It's excellent, and this last picture is even better than the previous.

Some nahuatl for tht tetl, probably. Don't know for the first part, maybe quechua.
    And don't be ashamed, I'm just so often telling myself that I have my city district to finish...
    You're way too kind Julien, I don't really have a good handle on my colors but I'll get there eventually.
    I think you're right about the quechua source, thanks for reminding me. I'll finish the GuildWorld map eventually or more likely restart it in a more present style of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    It's very interesting how the complete change of technique changes your style... while remaining completely recognizable. It's great work, anyway! I wouldn't be able to do it (as soon as I draw with a pencil or a pen, I look for the Ctrl+Z key, or I try to enlarge the sheet of paper with my fingers...) With watercolor, you're embarking on a great adventure and I wish you success!
    Merci Joel Could you elaborate on the style differences ?

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    I love it, Thomas - It's got all your hallmarks, but the naturally roughly applied watercolors adds something new and different. As careful as we all like to be, sometimes I really like a good sketchy map!
    Thanks a lot Joseph and also thanks for helping me embrace my messiness

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Can you really misspell a word that's being arbitrarily transliterated from two different languages (where you'd have two different standards of transliteration, at best)?
    You do have a good point

Quote Originally Posted by Severaph View Post
    great work, it makes me keen to try watercolor too, but i have too much to do lately and no time to dive into a map right now sadly
    I love the way the tones of the paper (or is it a leather map ? or like a textile one ? ) makes it really believable and of course the hand drawn side of it makes it even more full of life
    thanks for sharing
    Merci Severaph I'm glad you jumped on the watercolor wagon (and with good results !). The map was supposed to be stained and worn velum so I guess leather and I'm glad you deem it believable, thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by killerklown View Post
    This is the kind of wonderful map that makes me very happy to have joined the guild. Not only is it stunning and believable (the parchment look, the way the map looks to be worn out) but it gives the cartographer new ideas on how to realise some works !
    Great and motivating !
    Merci beaucoup killerklown Glad to spread back some of the inspiration the Guild brings to me.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Really nice work Thomas, especially for being a quicker piece.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks a lot Tad, I had to save my time for my girls so it had to be quick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast