Thread: The continent of Phalexia (GIMP)

Wip The continent of Phalexia (GIMP)

Hey everyone,

this is my first regional map. It depicts the continent Phalexia - the focal point of my new DnD campaigns.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Der Kontinent Phalexia.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	8.62 MB 
ID:	120364

About the creation process:

I used GIMP 2.10.14 and a lot of resources from this site. To name the most prominent benefactors:
    1. Fast and Easy Artistic Maps in the GIMP by darklingrisen
      Hand-Drawn Mapping (for the Artistically Challenged) - Fix Edited in by JMcKid (original by Gidde) + brushes
      Positioning Names on Maps by Eduard Imhof
      The "Vischer" brush set by KMAlexander
      Paper Texture 19 by JoshStolarz

The fonts I used are "First Order" and "Aniron".
    The symbol around the maps name in the lower right corner is more or less copied from a Middle-Earth map I found on etsy.

I hope you like it - I for sure enjoyed the process of creating and simultaneously learning a lot.

I would be happy to hear from you all - constructive criticism (& praise ) is always welcome!

Blog Entries

Welcome to the guild - although it seems like you have been here a while. You have clearly been reading the threads and absorbing the information as that is a great first post map. It could easily win a compass in the monthly challenges.

You seem to have made good use of Gidde's tutorial, very nice! I'm not a huge fan of the labels on the sea, the empty outlines with that font make them a tad difficult to read in smaller sizes, I think. But otherwise the look is extremely solid. I really enjoy those castles and whatnot! The continents shape is interesting, I like that inner sea.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Welcome to the guild - although it seems like you have been here a while. You have clearly been reading the threads and absorbing the information as that is a great first post map. It could easily win a compass in the monthly challenges.
    Wow, thank you for your kind words! I first stumbled upon this site on the 24th of January this year Started working on this map on Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    You seem to have made good use of Gidde's tutorial, very nice! I'm not a huge fan of the labels on the sea, the empty outlines with that font make them a tad difficult to read in smaller sizes, I think. But otherwise the look is extremely solid. I really enjoy those castles and whatnot! The continents shape is interesting, I like that inner sea.
    Yes, you are absolutely right about the labels in the sea. Thanks for the constructive criticism.

That looks great! Nice work, Arved.