Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printing maps

Guild Journeyer Impractical Cartographer's Avatar

Discuss Printing maps

I hope this is a good forum section for this topic.

I've been wondering for a long time what material is best for printing maps. To make the printout nice, durable and easy to carry. The paper is too delicate, it can easily tear, get dirty, crumple. And it doesn't tolerate the moisture well.

Canvas prints are more durable, but they should not be rolled up and are difficult to move from place to place.
    I needed material that I could roll up, put in my backpack, unfold and even pour out a beer. And at the same time - inexpensive to print.

A friend of mine found the solution. He printed out my maps on cotton fabrics and waterproof polyester.
    Well, I'm in shock. Look at this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	7.59 MB 
ID:	120436

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	6.13 MB 
ID:	120437

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	5.62 MB 
ID:	120438

For me, it's just what I was looking for. The maps are nice and durable. The fabric gives them a unique character. Besides, this textile is difficult to scan and piracy.

I wonder what you think of that. And on what material you usually print maps.

Yours sincerely
    Impractical Cartographer

Wow, that's perfect! But is it expensive? I assume you have to go to a print shop?

Guild Journeyer Impractical Cartographer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baron View Post
    Wow, that's perfect! But is it expensive? I assume you have to go to a print shop?
    The print shop don't do that. Just google "Textile printing" in your area

At my buddy's in Poland the cost of printing a square meter in colours is about 20 euros.

Those are beautiful! I've wondered about printing on fabric myself, but never got around to it.

Really interesting, and it works really well with your specific style : it really looks like if it was painted on the fabric !
    I used to have a few maps (not mine ^^) printed on fabric... The Shire, as far as I remember, and one or few others, but colors ended pale and dull after some years. However, those were acquired 20 years ago, and I'm pretty sure the technique and pigments are way better nowadays

Wow, that looks great! And I agree with Beee, it works particulary well with your style. I'll have to keep this in mind, I've been toying with the idea of getting some maps printed out as well.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Your map looks great on that cotton. I never printed a map on any material but paper (when it was printed in book). But recently I often read that people print maps from their favorite rpg system on play mats (like those from Chessex, "extended vinyl"?). But I guess this isn't inexpensive or maybe not possible anyway if you just want to print one map.

I wonder what might be good materials for more futuristic maps though. Some even more man-made material than cotton or paper, I guess. Searching for these "vinyl maps" I've just found a provider named bannersonthecheap, who seem to offer printing "rpg maps and banners". But I don't know them. Maybe there are similar print services who do the same. Their website itself looks a bit "cheap" to me and I don't know if I would try it without a personal recommendation (if I wanted to print something, which I don't want to just now).

I also wondered if you could print a map like an ad on a pvc banner. But this would be more interesting for bigger sizes, and if you have room for that. This could also be durable.

Beautiful finish. Doesn't everything look better when it's printed, especially so on fabric it seems

Those looks great!

Cloth is a great material for printing maps on! I remember when Ultima Online was released it came with the world map printed on cloth and it was always a fan favorite, became a collectors item and is so much more durable than any paper item.

How is the fine detail on canvas printing? Is it mostly for fantasy or decorative stuff?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast